What exactly do strut tower bars do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly do strut tower bars do?

i've been looking at pictures of the strut tower bars available on FMS and with my very basic understanding of physics and mechanics I dont understand what they could possibly do to stiffen the body?

it looks to me like they pivot and flex in several directions... the only thing I can see that they might do is keep the top of the struts from moving in opposite directions from each other.

any help appreciated.

thanks,
    dan

Helps keep down body flexing due to hard cornering. "Closing the box"

Get the adjustable if you want to spend the money.

My non-adjustable doesn't do anything. I can actually grab it and move the bar back and forth because it has slack in it.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

you have the sway bar on the bottom and the strut bar on the top=stiffer front end. they are not exactly the same since the sway bar connects the control arms to the frame to stop the suspension from moving front to back but by connecting the suspension on both sides to the frame it does stiffen the body somewhat. if you want better handling you should stiffen up the rear more than the front by doing this the rear is more stable then the front allowing for less under-steer. then again a roll cage will do it all for you and make the car more stable anyways and it will be solid if you roll the car so you won't die or even from a crash.
      the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

Working...
      X