GTX wheels part I problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX wheels part I problems

I recently put in my GTX wheels and 185/60 14 tires. I had to put 2 .25inch spacers in the back to stop them from rubbing the perches of the rear struts.

Now i have ran into some problems..

1. My car starts to sort of dance/shake at 40 and when i speed up, there is no shaking, but it comes back when i hit the 80 mark, and if i go up, car just goes into crazy shaking mode..
    It seems to me that the back tires are wobbling quite a lot(how do i check if its back or front?).. and i am wondering if those 2 quater inch spacers are the root cause of this or, could it just be bad tire balancing? How can i fix this??

2. Also, i have been thinking of upgrading to GR-2's or Tein's (undecided)
    My question is, would it be okay, if i put Aspire gr2's (more clearence for the tire) in the back without an Aspire swap? If i go that route, I plan on using fms lowering springs, unless someone here has a better/cheaper option?
    Last edited by goodbabbu; 01-06-2009, 11:24 AM.

If it's the front that are wobbling then you'll feel it thru the steering wheel. Unless the backs are so bad due to the spacers you have.

Put on a set of known good wheels in the rear with the spacers and see if they are the problem.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by goodbabbu View Post
      I recently put in my GTX wheels and 185/60 14 tires. I had to put 2 .25inch spacers in the back to stop them from rubbing the perches of the rear struts.

2. Also, i have been thinking of upgrading to GR-2's or Tein's (undecided)
      My question is, would it be okay, if i put Aspire gr2's (more clearence for the tire) in the back without an Aspire swap? If i go that route, I plan on using fms lowering springs, unless someone here has a better/cheaper option?
      I was told that putting the aspire struts on would eliminate the need for the spacers because the bottom seat for the spring is in a differant position. Have not checked for sure yet. But I want to do the same thing as I have some Mazda rims to put on also.
      I also planned on using the aspire lowering springs to keep it close to stock height.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I have the Aspire rear struts with the same size tires on miata wheels no spacers and no rubbing.

Comment

biglay,
          what springs are you using? stock, fms or you got some custom setup going on there?

Comment

I had the same problem before I installed the Tiens. My tires are 185/60-14 also. I tried the spacers and that temporarily addressed the issue but my long term plan was to install spacers between the hub and the torsion beam to effectively move the wheels out and allow me to use the stock lug nuts rather than purchase new ones. Fortunately the Tiens are smaller diameter in addition to being height adjustable so I have no problems now. See attached comparision photo. The yellow springs are apex lowering 35mm btw.
            Last edited by b8kedbeans; 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM. Reason: Added photos
            I'm going to come at you like a spider monkey!
            White 1993 L plus, 5 speed - 47k miles
            * Aspire brake swap, 14" Miata wheels & Tein coliover suspension

Comment

biglay,
              what springs are you using? stock, fms or you got some custom setup going on there?
              Im running Festiva Front springs cut 2&1/2 coils in the back.

Comment

Is the centerbore bigger on the new rims? Maybe you need hubcentric rings.
                89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                RIP 90LX

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                  Is the centerbore bigger on the new rims? Maybe you need hubcentric rings.
                  Bingo!
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

no, the centre is not big. I think, the best solution to my problem is Teins.

I'll update you guys when i get this sorted out!

Comment

Another alternative to hub rings is to install studs and use regular lug nuts instead of lug bolts. This will help keep your wheels centered too.
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

I ran aluminum 14's on invisitiva with a bigger center hole than stock with stock studs no problem. Only had issues with shaking till I got the tires balanced.
                        Of course the red makes it go faster..

Comment

no, the centre is not big. I think, the best solution to my problem is Teins.

I'll update you guys when i get this sorted out!
                          Is the centerbore exactly the same? The wheel relies on the centerbore to center the wheel on the hub. A bigger than stock centerbore can/will cause shakes. I have different rims on and they shake because of this. Change back to stock rims, no shake.
                          89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                          RIP 90LX

Comment

I've had two different size wheels with larger center bores with no shakeing problems 13" and now 14"!
                            I have studs and nuts on my car!
                            Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                            99 Dodge Caravan SE
                            95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                            94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                            78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                            78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                            03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                            95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                            95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                            95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

It doesnt realy matter if the rear wheel center bores are small or big he's running spacers back there. If the shaking is coming from the front than maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X