Kia Rio parts which may work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia Rio parts which may work...

I was at the 'yard yesterday looking for some 323 parts: ECU, air box and dipstick.

Not a single 323 on the lot!

But there were at least four Festivas and two Aspires. Got me some mirrors, alloy Aspire wheels (!), a headlight, and a few other little joys.

There were a couple of Rios on the lot too. I had to investigate the brake and suspension systems, since the Rios are "distant third gen Festivas." Let me emphasize "distant." However, there is some good news possibly, for us 'yard scavengers...

Front:

Control arm and general setup looks exactly like an Aspire. I wouldn't be surprised if that control arm was Aspire sized. I didn't measure it though, so don't ASSume. It could well be just a bit longer than an Aspire like the Aspire is longer than a Festiva.

Rotor looked very similar. So did the caliper. VERY similar. Again, I had nothing to measure it with reliably.

I don't recall looking closely at the strut.

My tentative guess is that the rotor, caliper, and maybe even the knuckle is the same as an Aspire.

Rear:

Entire rear axle is totally different. However...

Brake drum assembly looked EXACTLY like an Aspire!

Drum had "201.5" cast on it. I believe that is the Aspire diameter (or minimum inside diameter after turning). I ain't looked it up yet.

If that drum diameter is indeed the same, I'm guessing the rear drum and possibly the entire drum assembly is the same as an Aspire.

I'm going back today to snag some more treasures. I'll do some measuring and maybe some side by side comparisons and I'll post the results soon.

OH! I almost forgot:

Rio lug bolts are longer than Aspire bolts and are the same threading. I'm guessing they are about 1/4" or so longer, so these might be really good cheap parts for using with spacers, etc. The Rio bolts also have a sort of washer on them too. Looks like a lockwasher sort of. I think these are called "ball seat" bolts.

I snagged eight of 'em. Freebies, just lying on the ground! They didn't charge me for them either, so they were "true" freebies. No work and no cost! That's my kind of deal.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I just had time today to grab the two last alloy wheels and take off my rear Aspire axle assembly. Hard work! Luckily it was cooler out.

I checked my Aspire brake drums and they are indeed "201.5" sized. I'm certain they are the same. Would the whole drum brake assembly be the same, though?

I should go back and find out tomorrow. I'll have more time to measure and stuff. I'll also look for similar markings or numbers on calipers, hub, etc.

I hope I get something more solid to go on. It'd be real nice to be able to snag pretty damn new brake parts off of Rios in the years to come!

And with their ten year warranties, they shouldn't need any junkyard parts anytime soon! :twisted:

Karl

Comment

check the engine mounts!! the engine in those cars is supposedly a relative of the GM SOHC turbo engine from the late 80's.... THe DOHC in the RIO is supposedly the same basic, very stout block, at least according to what I read on a forum for that engine... could be totally incorrect data, but still worth looking under the hood to see if the layout is similar... see if you can get an engine code!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
        I checked my Aspire brake drums and they are indeed "201.5" sized. I'm certain they are the same. Would the whole drum brake assembly be the same, though?
        Karl
        Take some measurements of your aspire stuff before your next trip to the yard. The axle beams may be different widths. Check the drum assembly mounting bolts. See if the 4 bolt pattern is the same as the aspire and the festiva. If they are the same then you could just swap the drums over to the festiva.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Mattswab wrote:

"Take some measurements of your aspire stuff before your next trip to the yard. The axle beams may be different widths."

No axle beam like on an Aspire. I think it's just some kind of a fully independent trailing arm setup.

I should get back out to the U Wrench It tomorrow. I spent this morning looking for a 323 to get my needed stuff from.

Not a nineties 323 to be found!

One yard will charge me $60 for one, though. That's a last resort, as another yard said it would be $10 if I pulled it.

If those brake drum assemblies look exact, I may try to pull both of them to add to my "collection." If they're too hard to get off, I may try to snag the LR self-adjuster thingie, since the one on Muttstiva seems to not work right. If it is a direct replacement that should say something.

Karl

Comment

Wil and I brought up this fact a year or so ago... but we didn't go into detail like you did... very useful information. Someone who lives near a auto wreckers that sells parts for very cheap should buy the front knuckle assemble or even the sway bar and see how close it is to the Festiva
            * Retired Festiva-er*
            1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
            B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Working...
            X