Prototype Front Tie Bar Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype Front Tie Bar Pics.

I built a prototype lower tie bar for my Festiva today. Thought I would share a few pictures.

It's made from .95 wall DOM 1" tubing with 1.5" (not sure the wall thickness) end pieces.

I need to get my oven set up again so I can powdercoat it.

Unfortunately, my Festiva is not currently registered or insured, so I can't give a first drive report, but I thought it looked alright so I decided to post pictures.

looks very nice!! I like how you made use of the lower control arms bolts as the mounting points!!
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Yeah. Nismo sells one for the Nissan Sentra (my other car) that uses similar mounting cups on the lower control arm bolts. I just copied their concept.

Comment

Looks pretty good. Did you measure and install it while the car was on jacks or on all four wheels? I wonder if the chassis would flex enough on jacks to make a difference? Thanks

Comment

I did it on jackstands. I would hope that the chassis wouldn't flex enough that it would make a difference, but with a Festiva, anything is possible.

If it does flex that much, all the more reason a lower tie bar will help... I guess...

Comment

You'd be surprised on how much they flex on jackstands. When I painted my car it I had the door strikers off. The car was on 4 stands and I reinstalled the strikers and later when I let the car down the doors wouldn't close. I had to move them quite a bit.

BTW nice bar. I'm sure you could sell a few here.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Could someone educate me please? What does this do for the suspension/handling exactly? Im sure it improves it in some way but how?
              Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
              - Unknown
              I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
              - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
              - Bumper Sticker

Comment

during cornering (and somewhat during braking), the lower control arm mounting points/framerails will flex side to side, resulting in a change in camber and toe, which adversely affects handling. Tieing them together reduces the amount of flex, resulting in more predictable handling.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

i would actually be interested in one of these depending on price, they look very nice and a great idea!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Ok Thanks alot Jim!

So this along with a strut tower brace would help handling/braking quite a bit then?
                    Last edited by MONSOON; 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM. Reason: Thought of a question
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I didn't build this one on the car, I made a jig and built it on the jig. Building more is definitely not a problem as long I can have access to the tubing bender.

I'm pretty excited to see how it drives. I'd take it out for a quick run around the block in the middle of the night, but the headlights don't work right now either.

I looked for a good point behind the bar to triangulate to to make it a three or four point bar without have to weld or drill holes on unibody, but I didn't see anything. I might have to spend a little time tomorrow exploring that idea...

Comment

is this not basically the same thing as the anti sway bar that runs under the radiator/trans mount?
                        89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                        92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                        New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

No. They sway bar acts as a spring between the front control arms to help keep them level in a corner - reducing body roll.

This works on the other end of the control arms to keep the body itself from flexing. It won't reduce body roll, just the affects that the body flex would have on alignment.

Comment

oh, ok. thanks for the explanation!
                            89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                            http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                            92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                            New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

hmm... very nice!!!

*...wonders out to the garage and plugs in the welder...*
                              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X