Aspire to Festiva Brake Swap -- Specifics Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire to Festiva Brake Swap -- Specifics Needed

A friend of mine is going to junk his 1994 Aspire. I have a 1991 Festiva L which needs work and which I previously loaned (for 1 year) to this same friend before he acquired his Aspire (his sister was rear-ended in it and "gave" him the car--so it's 1/3 shorter than it should be but has run and driven fine up until yesterday).

I have a few very practical questions that I would love to have answered. My friend is more than willing to give me the Aspire. I have read of some of the interchangeability between Aspires and Festivas but haven't been able to find any details now that I need them!

I have heard that the Aspire brake system is much better than the Festiva. My 91 festiva needs brake work so if the Aspire's brakes are better and are easy for a mechanic to swap it seems it would make sense to take the Aspire from my friend and have the breaks swapped out. However, I've driven the Festiva for 300,000 miles and the brakes just now need real work. Is it really worth it to swap them or should I just get the stock ones fixed?

Secondly, my Festiva L doesn't have Air Conditioning. My first and third Festiva had air, and though it didn't help too much when the outside temp got past 100 degrees, it was very helpful on warm rainy days to keep the windows from fogging up and my first Festiva actually did cool pretty well (without tinted windows which would surely help somewhat as well). My question, of course is can the Air Conditioning from the Aspire be swapped over to the Festiva? If so, is it a "drop" or "bolt in" or do major modifications need to be made?

Lastly, if I take the Aspire I've been offered from my friend, what all parts might I realistically want to harvest/keep to transplant to my Festiva? And if I can't get enough specifics in a reply to this posting to give to my mechanic (as I have little time for major mechanical undertaking myself--I have about enough time for changing plugs, pads, starters, etc.) . . . if I can't get details in response to this post, are there links to where specifics have already been provided? As I said before, I found specifics at one time or another over the years, but I haven't had any luck finding them this time!

Thanks to all for whatever help and/or info you may be able to offer.

By the way (and off the topic) . . . someone needs to harass whoever could bring the Ford Fiesta and the Ford Ka to the states that is available in Mexico and the UK and Germany (and who knows where else).

Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Working...
    X