silicone brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silicone brake fluid

I recommend everyone change their brake fluid to silicone brake fluid.
    It costs a lot more, but it will not absorb water and cause the brake lines to rust out.
    The fluid will remain crystal clear and not cloud up. After all, why do you think they never use it in new cars?

I just changed my master cylinder.
    Here is the before:

and her is the after:

I am still searching for stainless brake lines. Nobody has done any for a Festiva.
    I will probably get it done near Buffalo at Classic Tube.

Classic Tube brake, fuel and transmission lines are pre-bent to OEM specs or custom-made for your vehicle. Find the right tubing for your classic car today!

They say that they are "Bent on Perfection".

doesnt FMS have stainless steel brakelines?

Comment

hard lines

I am talking about the hard lines for the frame not the four short flex ends.
      The whole brake line enchilada.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 03-08-2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

make sure you go for cross drilled brake lines for superior venting!

Also look into an engine oil bypass so your oil stays clean, your engine will make your oil very dirty!
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

you can get those products here:

94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...

Facebook Me!

Comment

cross drilled brake lines

I am not going to race. I just want the smallest bore brake line, -3.
            However, I will consider a bypass because I have a remote oil filter + all the AN hardware and stainless braided lines.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 03-08-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

why, if it's superior to DOT3, don't OEMs use it? (one would think having perfect brake lines forever would be a good thing...)

DOT3 is Hydroscopic for a reason, and you're supposed to flush and fill your DOT5 systems every year BECAUSE of water intrusion (the water can't be trapped in the fluid and as such, the water has a better chance of rusting steel lines and flash boiling causing an unsafe condition).
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

btw those are joke links...

Facebook Me!

Comment

Planned obsolesence. I had it in my CJ-7 for years. You don't have to change it or flush it every year. Most sports car enthusiasts, drive from the new car dealership over to the custom garages immediately to get their brake fluid changed over. Why would Detroit want the brake lines to last more than the warranty period?

I have another question for the forum:
                  Do you think the same tooling could be used to stamp out body panels with a couple of per cent more chromium and nickel in it?

Comment

i don;t see a reason why not
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

the 710 cap...LMAO! That site is great
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

I had a honda buddy that was pissed when he couldn't get his cross drilled brake lines. I was dead set on ordering them and did not believe they were a joke!

Facebook Me!

Comment

I don't want to stop your thread, but I want to change my master cylinder and boaster, but I can only get the 323 mazda, or the protoge'. Will this type work, has anybody try this and will it be sharper?
                          JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                          I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Don't use silicone fluid. Racecars don't either. Silicon is a compressible molecule. Yes it has a very high boiling point and doesn't get nasty as quick; but it results in a squishy brake pedal none the less. Opinions of what squishy is may vary; but I can tell you when I am diving into a corner a 60 or 70 on the track I want to know that my brakes are there. I want my pedal as hard as possible so when the brakes do start to fade I feel it right away.

Silicone fluid belongs in trucks that tow large trailers and need the extra heat limits more than a firm pedal. Full synthetic dot 4/5 is the way to go.
                            Last edited by floydiancomplex; 03-12-2009, 12:22 AM.
                            Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                            - Dennis Grant
                            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I have five old cars that sit a lot without being driven. It also follows that the brake systems don't get used a lot nor do they see any service or attention. I use silicone brake fluid in all of them. I don't have any corrosion problems, no sticky wheel cylinders or calipers, no leaks, no nothing. Some have been untouched for years. No flushing required as the silicone won't absorb water.

Another advantage of the silicone fluid is you don't have to worry about paint damage in case of a spill on your paint.

It's true that race cars don't usually use silicone fluid (at least road racing and roundy round) but there's no advantage anyway as the fluid in these cars is changed regularly. Silicone is not recommended for anti-lock brakes. Silicone fluid is used by Harley-Davidson in the brake and clutch systems.

I don't use silicone in DD's but I sure like it in the ones that see limited driving.

Comment

Working...
                              X