15" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" wheels

any 15s that will fit on a festy without the break swap without rubbing when you turn? and if you have 15s will it be even harder to stop?
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

195/45/15 will not rub, but expect to pay the price
    Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

18 bucks

yeah I just got my kumhos for 18 a piece 195/45/15 but that was dum luck, will never happen again, they were like 60 each everywheres else I checked.

195/50/15 will work too, and are more easy to find, about 200 bucks for 4 with free shipping on ebay, the guy is a good seller.

The 50's might rub alittle around SHARP turns, but just don't do any autoX courses and ou should be fine.

Logan

Comment

ok...i got the size numbers down but what is the offset? ex...if the ofset is greater the wheel sticks out from the rotor further???
        90 L FI..second B3
        90 L Parts car
        Jay

Comment

The higher the positive offset number is, the more the "hub" or wheel body will be pushed to the outside. This will push the inside of the wheel rim further towards the car's middle, eventually to rub on a suspension component or the inner fenderwell.

On a 13 X 5.5" wheel, an offset of 38mm (like my VW rims) will push the wheel out a bit more than if the standard Aspire offset (45mm) were used. Since Aspire rims are 13 X 4.5" wide, keeping a 45mm offset when going to a wider wheel may not produce enough clearance on the inside.

In this case (going from the stock 4.5" wide wheel to the VW 5.5" wide wheel), I added 1/2 inch, or about 12.5mm, to the inside of the wheel rim. Then since my offset went from an Aspire stock 45mm to the VW's 38mm, I moved that inside rim back to the outside of the car 7mm. Thus, my (wider wheel's) inner rim is moved inside only 5mm, or slightly less than 1/4 inch.

Now you have to add whatever addtional distance the Aspire suspension (knuckles in front and rear axle & brake drums in rear) adds to this measurement. I would guess the knuckles do not change much, but I think the Aspire rear axle is about an inch or so wider than the Festiva rear axle, so it may widen your rear track.

Gotta check it all! I was pretty safe because I'm not using tire/wheel combos that "stretch the envelope." My tires are only 165/70s, plus my rear struts were the Aspire units, which give slightly more clearance due to 3/4 inch higher spring perches.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
          X