Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased weight capacity with Aspire springs

hi all,

I'm currently converting my 91 L to electric. My conversion will require me to install approximately 500 lbsj of deep cycle batteries over the rear axle. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and searching on this forum and other resources and I think I'd be ok if I installed Aspire springs in the rear on my Festiva. As for the front, since I'm removing about the same amount of weight as I'm putting back in, roughly 300 lbs, I'm keeping the stock springs, but going to GR2 struts. I'll also be putting GR2 struts in the back. Will it be difficult to swap springs from old to new struts? Will this be something I can do at home, or does it require special skills / tools?

You can see my progress at my website.

thanks all,

Stefano

My best guess is that Aspire rear springs are the same strength as Festiva rear springs. When I replaced my Mutt's rear springs (130K miles on them) with Aspire rears (IIRC, about 70K miles on them) the Aspires had only one pound difference in spring tension!

You should probably look for another spring to use in the rear for that battery array. At the very least go with new aftermarket Aspire springs for best strength.

Also, the rear spring perches of Aspire struts are about 3/4" higher up than the Festiva counterparts, if that helps. I'd go with Aspire rear shocks for that reason. It should help a bit.

So my guess is that new Aspire rear springs on Aspire shocks will be your best bet unless you can find a same size spring that is stiffer. Maybe Moog or another aftermarket supplier makes "heavy duty" springs for the Aspire or Festiva?

You might also consider removing the rear seat and mounting the batteries on the floor closer to the middle of the car instead of in the back, if that would be safe. I've read a little about electric conversions but not a lot, so that may not be wise.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hi thanks for the info. I'm a little disappointed at the fact that the Aspire springs may be very close in rating to the Festiva. I figured since the Aspire weighs in at almost 350 lbs more than the Festiva I thought the springs might be a little stronger. They probably are, but more in the front than in the back.

As for moving the batteries, you and several others have suggested the same thing and is exactly what I'm going to do. I've decided to mount 2 (130 lbs) of the 8 batteries in the back of the car directly under the back seat. I will have to modify the rear seat anchors and make a hinge so I can tilt the rear seat forward to have fast easy access to the batteries. My overall plan is to keep the rear seat for my daughter or the very rare passenger I may have to bring along. 98% of the time I'm alone in the car, so even if the headroom in the back is a little compromised that's ok.

Thanks again

Stefano

fest-ev-a@slandi.net

Comment

Working...
      X