Ksport Coilover conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ksport Coilover conversion

OK after around 60 pms asking about my suspension setup I've decided to do my write up.

I have successfully converted a set of mk3 vw golf coilovers to fit my festiva. There is a small bit of fab work involed. It is not direct bolt in.

Tools needed.

Grinder
    Drill Press
    Hand Drill

I'll start with the rears.

They actually are very close to fitting perfect. I had to grind a spacer at the bottom of the shock just a bit to make it fit. The lower bolts are the same size, so no shims are needed.

You need to need to grind the little of the flap of metal at the rear of the swing arm. This will contact the shock body in the lowest compression.

The top hat needs a rubber spacer so that it is not a metal to metal contact. This is an easy fix by taking the old dust sheild, and cutting off the lower part so that just the top circle is left. Then place this ontop of the coilover.

Insert the top of the strut into the festiva shock mount. Now put the rubber spacer and washer back on as usual. Thats it!

Fronts

Time for the scary part. :confused2:

Ok, the bottom strut mount holes do not line up exactly. The golf has a slightly taller bolt spacing. You must drill a new hole for them to line up.

Here is before the mod.

Here is after. Whew

Now the shock will bolt on the spindles.

Next step is the top mounts. You will have to drill out the top mount holes to 14mm. The Ksport shock shaft is alot larger than the stock festiva's. Once you have them drilled out, slide the shock into the top mount.

You will now need some washers to space out the extended rod length of the Ksports. I used 5 generic washers from Home depot per side. I then put on nylon locking nuts.

And thats it you're done! ccasion5:

If anyone needs anymore specific questions answered or pics taken let me know.
    Last edited by BUSTIVA; 04-18-2009, 11:16 PM.
    '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Nice. How much did you spend?
    Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

Originally posted by KingFish View Post
      Nice. How much did you spend?
      You can pick these up on Ebay for right around a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
        You can pick these up on Ebay for right around a grand.
        that a tuff choice... i was gonna do some home build coilovers like sketers_keeper did but now im think K-SPORT but thats alot of money can they be re-built? also can you get the in cab adjuster? also where is your air filter?
        Last edited by sasquatch; 04-19-2009, 12:21 AM.

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
          that a tuff choice... i was gonna do some home build coilovers like sketers_keeper did but now im think K-SPORT but thats alot of money can they be re-built? also can you get the in cab adjuster? also where is your air filter?
          I think they can be rebuilt, and here's a shot of the in cab adjuster. Oh I had the filter off when I snapped the pics lol.

Last edited by BUSTIVA; 04-19-2009, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Ouch.
            Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

no i was thinking of the remote thing where you push a botton and it will adjust it. i know im lazy, but i want it just to say that i have it more than anything lol....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                no i was thinking of the remote thing where you push a botton and it will adjust it. i know im lazy, but i want it just to say that i have it more than anything lol....
                LOL oh yeah, they have an electronicly controled dampening kit were you have full adjustiblity at the touch of a button. I'm a lazy typer myself.

Comment

Do you have a link for pics? They aren't showing up for me.
                  Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Could you post pics. of the rear coilovers at the underside of the shock tower and the spot that was grinded at the suspension beam? Did you use the VW MK3 coil springs that came with the kit? If so,how is the ride? Is it suitable for daily driving? I also notice that the holes on the front bottom strut mount are not vertically aligned while the Festiva strut has them aligned. How does it affects the camber? Did you used camber bolts?
                    I have a set of Circuit8 adjustable coilovers for the VW MK3 that looks just like the Ksport and have not have the time to install them because I am still working on the B6T-G25MR swap. I got the idea from one of your posts and checked it right away since some of my friends are in the VW crowd. Got a hold of a factory set of MK3 shocks and to my suprise it happened to be an incredibly easy swap. You should really post more pics. of how the setup looks like in your car. Thanks.
                    There is replacement for displacement! Less weight and BOOST!!!

Comment

are you using the same spring weight that came with that kit? how is the ride and handling? i wonder if the K sport 323 might be a better bolt up?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                        i wonder if the K sport 323 might be a better bolt up?
                        The fronts will but the rears are totally different.
                        Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

what spring rate are they?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Originally posted by festurbo View Post
                            Could you post pics. of the rear coilovers at the underside of the shock tower and the spot that was grinded at the suspension beam? Did you use the VW MK3 coil springs that came with the kit? If so,how is the ride? Is it suitable for daily driving? I also notice that the holes on the front bottom strut mount are not vertically aligned while the Festiva strut has them aligned. How does it affects the camber? Did you used camber bolts?
                            I have a set of Circuit8 adjustable coilovers for the VW MK3 that looks just like the Ksport and have not have the time to install them because I am still working on the B6T-G25MR swap. I got the idea from one of your posts and checked it right away since some of my friends are in the VW crowd. Got a hold of a factory set of MK3 shocks and to my suprise it happened to be an incredibly easy swap. You should really post more pics. of how the setup looks like in your car. Thanks.
                            I'll get some pics as soon as it quits raining here. I used the springs that came with it. They are 392/F and 296/R. The ride is alot stiffer, but not uncomfortable. If you have decent roads they should be fine, but watch out for pot holes and bad cracks. I have a couple that I make sure I avoid lol. It feels solid, and very well planted in the corners. I'd say it would give my WRX a run for its money in the bends. I can't wait to try an autox with the new set up. The top hole of the lower mount is elongated to have room for a camber adjustment. I just alined my stock festiva strut with the holes on the Ksport strut to get the proper camber degree for the new hole. My camber is perfect fine, even being lowered. I'm running 205 wide tires, and have no signs of off camber wear.

Comment

it would be great if you could eventually post more detailed pics of the complete setup. Where you grinded, etc. spacers.

Comment

Working...
                              X