Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aspire front springs on Festiva front-end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire front springs on Festiva front-end?

I've been running the FMS "lowering/racing" springs for some time and am planning on finishing up the Aspire brake up-grade by doing the front end perhaps sometime really soon.

I'd been planning to reinstall the stock Festiva front springs I'd driven on about ten thousand miles with the FMS rear springs which was a set-up I really liked.

But, now I'm wondering if I might prefer having some additional stiffness to the front end yet retain enough clearance for snow chains(dirt roads, etc.) and also be a little more supple in ride than the FMS springs in front?(whose harsh stiffness and the ride they give aren't quite worth the better handling; though the rear FMS springs are awesome in combination with the stock Festiva springs up front, so perhaps a further tweak with Aspire front springs on the front-end might preserve some of the amazing handling of the all FMS set-up, etc?)

Anyone have experience using Aspire front springs in place of the Festiva's front springs?(is this possible without modifications, or if those are needed what is necessary, etc?)

Are the Aspire front springs stiffer than those stock on the Festiva; and how do Aspire front springs on the front end of a Festiva compare to using the FMS springs on front?(a hide-a-bed on the roof in the second photo; though not nearly the heaviest of eight loads from Eureka, CA to Bellingham, WA last year from February to June...a full-size fridge the final load or nearly yet that too wasn't as weight laden as another trip had been, etc.)
    Last edited by bobstad; 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Bob, I've done two swaps using cut Aspire springs on Aspire struts. One was my '89 5 speed and the other my '93GL auto with B6 swap.

I cut the springs 1.5 coils, which seems to give stock ride height. The cut Aspire springs in front were measured at 10 pounds more stiffness than the old Festiva springs (my '89 with around 120K miles at the time). I can't recall if that was after cutting them or before, though!

The rears seemed to be the same strength, but that first swap involved Aspire springs that were newer and with less mileage.

If you use uncut Aspire springs, you will get more height, possibly more than you want (my guess is it will raise your front end at least 1.5", maybe more).

Aspire springs cut 1.5 coils will give you a stiffer ride in front compared with stock (especially old with lots of mileage) Festiva springs.

I have a set of the FMS lowering springs, but not installed yet, so I can't comment on them.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

After a recent drive to Berkeley and back, via the twisty 101 and Eureka on the way south; I've had a good chance to reflect on my car "as is" now with the FMS springs all the way around and KYBs.(I was really challenged driving straight through on I-5 coming back north, by torrential rains, and the car was a real champ; handling with stability and assuredness at 70-80 mph even when the roads were nearly flooded and big semi's wakes were thrown up every time one of the leviathans was being passed...leading me only to wonder what some extra displacement might of felt like though a distant fantasy for this Festiva-ite)

When I get the chance and motivation to finish up the Aspire brake swap I think my best alternative is to keep the FMS springs as they are now, and if need be get a pair of studded snow tires on a spare set of rims for any extreme weather.

Other than that, returning to the stock Festiva springs in front would be my other option since avoiding complexity and mechanical challenges suites my expertise and budget quite a bit. The idea is a tempting one considering the extra clearance on back roads, but I'd feel I'd loose an amount of the stability and control I feel now with the FMS springs both front and rear.(I've gotten used to a bit harsher ride, to the point that is very acceptable and rarely noticed except as an advantage)
      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

Bobstad if you do decide to removethe FMS springs I might be interested in buying them.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Working...
        X