Fixing aftermarket wheel shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing aftermarket wheel shake

Recently I bought some American Racing Estrella 14" wheels, and put on a set of 185/60x14 Kumho tires. I bought longer aftermarket lug bolts for the rear, because the aluminum wheels are thicker than stock steel ones, and I needed the longer bolts to fully grab the brake drum. On the front, I used stock lug bolts because they were long enough.

When I drove the car, it was undrivable on the highway due to vibration. Long story short, when I switched to the aftermarket bolts for the front as well, the vibration went away. The difference is that the aftermarket bolts were a deeper "cone" shape than the stock ones. This helped center the wheel into the lug hole better than the stock bolts. Also, the deeper cone gave the wheel more surface area to grab onto. The stock lug bolts have what I would call a "half-cone" shape--they don't go far enough for deeper, aftermarket aluminum wheels. I was afraid I would need hub-centric rings to fix it, but figured out that the original lugs were the real issue.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

yep...definitely need something to make up for losing the fit in the center. I have some steelies in 13" but the center is too big and they vibrate...but I got some off of a swift and they fit nicely.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

You might want to try converting over to wheels studs. Or get some hubcentric rings for the wheels.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Working...
      X