Chassis side Sway Bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis side Sway Bar bushings

The bushings that mount to the chassis, under the rad. core support. Is there anything special about them? FMS has them listed for $34. You can get some universal poly replacements from Energy Susp. for $14 from Summit Racing etc., that are also greasable. Part number ENS-9-5158G. Seems like they would work dimensionally, offer better handling and cost a 1/3 as much.

Rob
    89 L

Let me know if you give these a try.

Comment

The factory are grooved so they don't slip. Ask B6T how it feels to have them slip!

Comment

I just got my Festiva this week and haven't had anytime to diagnose anything. It has 173k on it, one owner car, and I have all the service records for the past 6 years.

So is there a ring or bulge in the sway bar to keep it in the 'groove' and prevent side to side movement?

Thanks

Comment

Yes a groove in the mount and a bump in the bushing.

Comment

Hopefully my last post about this. So the bushing moved out of the mount? Are you suggesting that it is really a bad idea to use bushings and mounts that aren't stock?

I noticed the sway bar does more than just help sway, because of the way is bolts to the LCA, its acting like a strut rod. Definitely seems minimalist. If others have tried poly sway bushings and found problems I am willing to spend the extra money.

89 L

Comment

I had the greasable energy suspension ones on my 88 since mid 2003. I then drove it as my daily driver until November 04. Never had a problem, but this is a STOCK Festiva, not a B6T powered Festiva. I can imagine the B6T powered Festivas are subject to more torque related body flex and could pop one out as the do not have the grooves like the factory units.
              Kevin
              '93 L (BP{T} Sold
              '90 L Plus Sold
              '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

bushings

actually, its not the bushings that mess up, it's the bushing mounts. So the solution is to use the urethane bushings and the stock mounts, the mounts that come with the bushings have slotted mounting holes so they move under back and forth sway bar pressure. The stock mounts have just holes so they don't move.
                You will need to modify the bushings by shaving down the bottom and the ridges on the edges, take some bar stock and make small risers to go under the flanges as they mount to the car. works, you get the better bushings with the proper holding stock mounts.
                Chris Rummel

Comment

Working...
                X