Adding wieght?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding wieght?

I'd like to try and a small bit of weight to my Festiva (Pepe) so that he may get a little more traction. I'm thinking strategically placed sheet lead. Got that idea from a neighbor who was a Moon runner. I know I need to update the suspension to an Aspire grade but are there any suspension kits that would work on it now. I'm have to keep my little 12"'s due to money but I would like to get Pepe to stick to the ground a little more thru the turns. And what would be the widest tire I could get away with o a set of stock rims.

Thanks

People that tell you that you need to add weight to get traction are stupid.

Clinton

Comment

Get the 165/70-12s that came standard on the "sportier" LX and GLs. To reduce your unsprung weight, mount them on stock Festiva 12 X 4.5" alloys. The 4.5" rim width will work well with the 165s. I doubt you'd find 12" tires wider than that anyway. (Yeah, 175/70s and 175/60s exist, but try to get them! They are mainly for the old Mini and I don't like the idea of them on a 4.5" wide rim.).

Adding weight to a Festiva is indeed "stupid." One of the advantages of our little cars is their comparative light weight. You already have enough weight over your front tires for "improved winter traction."

To improve non winter handling, mount your battery in the right rear of your car.

If you don't need it, remove your back seat to get rid of about 30 pounds.

The 165/70-12s will probably cost you about $38 or more apiece, compared with the more common 155/80-12s, which you should still be able to find new for around $25 or less. Maybe you can find a deal, though.

JUST DON'T ADD WEIGHT! :shock: It won't "improve" anything!

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info.

Comment

Search Google for suspension tech theory. Adding weight unless you need to make some weigh-in for a class of racing or posssssssiiibbblllyy drag racing, there should never be reason to ADD weight.. -Kyle
          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

The adding weight came from trucks.

A pickup has almost no weight in the rear. You add weight to get the rear wheels to grip more. It also brings the CG rearward, which puts less weight on the front. You're supposed to use sand or something so you can also use the sand to get unstuck.

None of this applies to cars.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain
              None of this applies to cars.
              Unless its an old RWD station wagon. :wink:
              Those who think drifting through life is easy, never tried it in an FWD.

Comment

I'm getting some pipe together for a rear brace and body brace and I've got a pic of a homemade rear brace. What I am wondering is why the brace I have a pic of has the pc going from seat belt to seat belt attachment instead of from shock brace to shock brace. If I knew how to add an image I would.

Comment

Answered my own question with a good look see. Anything that would put side ways stress on that mount would make it separate from the rest of the body. The bolt hole are already there from the seat latch and the bar I'm using(2" stainless bathroom rail) has a side mount that I'm probably going to use for attaching to the old rear seat mount. Then again I need to get under there and see if any side to side pull is going to stress that area. Any feedback is helpful.

Comment

tires are all that matter

if you continue to buy 20 dollar walmart specials, you will never get anywhere w/traction.

get grippier tires. the goodyears i had on my 12's were decent for the 1k miles I drove on them. then i got 14's lol
                    Wil
                    02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                    00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                    05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                    93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                    96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                    93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I can't find 12" tires even at WalMart and I cannot afford to make the front end swap yet. Best I can do is order a set of the 155's if I'm lucky I may run across some 175/s but chances are thin. Are there 13 or 14 inch rims that will fit a stock Festiva rotor and drum.

Comment

any older 323 wheels will fit. you can prolly find some 13" steel wheels in 4x114.3 pattern for 10-15 each a junkyard.

depending on ur budget you could buy new tires for the 13's or just use the tires that came on them. If you get new ones, get falken zeix 512 175/60R13 for 36 each at vulcantire.com or edgeracing.com <--best sites i can find for buying falken tires.
                        Wil
                        02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
                        00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
                        05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
                        93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
                        96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
                        93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Yeah I'm with Wil on that one, those are the best sites for Falken tire deals... Sometimes TireRack will have some good deals but keep your eyes open for them... -Kyle
                          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Working...
                          X