aspire vs. festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire vs. festiva?

It seems to me that basically, an aspire is just a somewhat fancier version of the festiva. Mechanically...or electronically, does the festiva have any advantages over the aspire. All I can figure is that the aspire is better, with better brakes, tighter suspension, heated oxygen sensor, better support beams, air bags (may or may not be a plus depending on your opinion), and factory speakers in doors. Is this correct, or does festiva still have some sort of uperhand on the second gen festivas (besides the obvious better looks)?
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Teal, B3E - "Trusty"
    1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Red, B3E - "Eggy" (RIP)
    1989 Ford Festiva LX, ATX, Maroon, B3E - "TBK" (RIP)
    1991 Ford Festiva GL, ATX, Red, B3E - "Festiva GT" (RIP)

For one, they are lighter....and a body design that makes no pretense about what the Festiva was meant to be: A small, utilitarian car that is fun to drive and easy to park.
    Festys are also roomier in terms of useable front seat space for bigger folks, of which I am one.
    1989 Red L- The Baron
    www.letstalkbeatles.com
    Link to Baron Pics:
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
    1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by pwgus View Post
      It seems to me that basically, an aspire is just a somewhat fancier version of the festiva. Mechanically...or electronically, does the festiva have any advantages over the aspire. All I can figure is that the aspire is better, with better brakes, tighter suspension, heated oxygen sensor, better support beams, air bags (may or may not be a plus depending on your opinion), and factory speakers in doors. Is this correct, or does festiva still have some sort of uperhand on the second gen festivas (besides the obvious better looks)?
      Light weight + higher final drive in the 5-speed + less restrictive exhaust manifold = better mileage and acceleration for the Festiva. Light weight also makes it more responsive handling-wise.

The better brakes are needed for the heavier car, and we can retrofit those brakes to the Festiva. Factory speakers in doors is a personal call; I am happy with good 4 1/2" speakers front and rear. The other stuff I don't care about either; It's safer, more convenient and useful than a motorcycle, and that's enough for me. When I want "the luxury experience", I have the Outback.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

festivas are lighter, faster, get better mpg, easier to make really fast. Way better looking. A man car and not a girl car. easier to work on.
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

The main reason I got into these Festy's in the first place in because of how light they are. Better acceleration, mileage, braking, and handling are all immediate benefits of lighter weight. For instance, I'd imagine a Festiva will handle better than an Aspire with the Aspire swap, based on weight alone. I also agree that Festiva's look much better...better and better every time I look at one...heheh

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
            Way better looking. A man car and not a girl car.
            hahaha lmao!!
            Agreed!!

btw...wow...beat to it by two others while I was typing that post!

Comment

Festivas are lighter, more maneuverable, in my experience are better in the snow than Aspires. Just seems to me, when they went from Festiva to Aspire, they really should have thought about going with the B6, to compensate for the extra weight. They already gave up some fuel economy anyway. Granted, I've only driven clutch Festivas, and automatic Aspires, but the Aspire seems to lack the get up and go the Festivas had. Not sure how much difference the tranny would make here.

Aspires have their pluses, airbags if you are worried about safety. Personally, I hate airbags, but that's just me. They are more aerodynamic, which should, but it doesn't, translate into better fuel economy. Can't deny that a well cared for Aspire is a nice looking car (think Festymick here). They can be as reliable as Festivas. I've worked off and on with a guy who has had the same Aspire since new (1997). It takes a licking, and keeps on ticking. 180K miles on that one, and as far as I know, the only real problem he has had with his is during a hurricane in 2003, stuff under the hood got too wet, and the car would not start til the next day, after it got a chance to dry out.

Personally, I prefer Festivas, but that's just me. And I'll bet if you went over to fordaspire.com, you'd get a totally different set of opinions.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

An aspire can't do this
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I have heard of some aspires getting mid 40's on mpg.

Comment

Aspires were put on the Earth so you can upgrade your Festiva.

They're not bad cars, just heavier and slower. As for looks, the FIRST thing that needs to be done to an Aspire is a good lowering job (especially in the rear).
                    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Festymicks car is gorgeous. The best looking by far and one of the 2 or 3 that looks good.

Comment

^^ Yeah, I think you kind of have to pull Festymick's, and a couple of others out of any discussion about Aspires. Might even need to reclassify his as something else. Or, since he's down under, is his still technically a Festiva?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Yep technically it is a festiva. MAYBE THAT'S why it's so cool!? Nah it's Mick's skills, eye, attention to detail, and creativity.

Comment

So how much does an aspire weigh compared to a festiva? I guess if I'm gonna ever do a BPT swap i'll want a stiva. Can u put in the tranny that goes with the bpt, or do you have to find another? Also, is it posssible to put in custom gears in either a stock or bpt tranny to change drive ratios. In my 'dream festiva' I take a bpt tranny and swap in all custom gears to compensate for the fact that it's a way lighter car than the original and give it a really high final drive ratio.
                            1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Teal, B3E - "Trusty"
                            1997 Ford Aspire, MTX, Red, B3E - "Eggy" (RIP)
                            1989 Ford Festiva LX, ATX, Maroon, B3E - "TBK" (RIP)
                            1991 Ford Festiva GL, ATX, Red, B3E - "Festiva GT" (RIP)

Comment

2 door Aspire - 2050 lbs
                              4 door Aspire - 2100 lbs

These are base model, no option weights.

A Festiva weighs about 1800 lbs
                              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                              X