coilover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coilover question

Do you think that 8 inch 200lb springs would work in the front of a BP+T festiva with kyb-gr2's?

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

I have 4 inch 400 lb coilovers on the car right now, they hurt. 200 lb would be okay, but the gr2 do not have enough dampening I believe to work properly with them I believe.... Search for a thread called something like "The last suspension question thread" I believe it states what a good setup is.

Comment

Yes, but the GR2s will be over sprung so it will be a bouncy ride. Try using the GR2s
      for a 89 Mazda 323 that will match the strut to the spring a little better.
      Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
      - Dennis Grant
      FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

i thought maybe with the bigger engine since in " The last Spring, Shock, and Ride Quality post" he said to use 175's in the front i was thinking with the added weight from the BT+T it might be ok. I was looking for for assurance from the suspension guru's

Comment

Its not about engine weight. Its about Compression/Rebound dampening values of the
          strut itself. Adding a heavier engine might make the spring a little more tolerable but
          the damper will still not be able to handle the spring and will blow out.
          Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
          - Dennis Grant
          FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Thank you Floydian, I am still learning. I think I am going to just go with the festiva kyb gr2's with 125lb springs in the back & 150lbs in the front on cheap coil over bodies. I hope this will not be under dampened.

Comment

If I went with a KYB GR2 from a Mazda 323 cut the spring perch off & used the Ebay cheap coil over body(slid all the way down to the bump near the bottom) with a 12'' 200lb spring would this be enough height to have the car sit about 1-1/2 - 2 inches lower with a decent ride?

Comment

You will be the first to find out. On general theory though I will give you a cautious yes.
                Yes as in more than likely it will fit and the car and give you your desired range of
                adjustability. As for a decent ride I have a few thoughts as well.

Without knowing the OEM spring rate for a 323 (I searched but no luck) I can only
                guesstimate. I am going to say its is probably around 150 Lbs. That is based on nothing
                more than knowing the festy spring rate (~110) and that the 323 weighs a bit more.

So add ~15% to your stock damper values (GR2s are said to be about that much stiffer
                than OEM) and your 323 damper should control about a 170-175 Lbs spring.

That is actually crap though. Spring/damper relationships are not linear and depend on
                much more than just the spring and strut alone. On the other hand it gives you a basic
                idea of what you are looking at. So ultimately your ride will be a bit under-damped but
                not nearly as severely as a 200 LB spring on a Festy GR2. On smooth roads you won't
                really notice but expect a little harshness when the road gets rough.

I say do it. That is my two cents anyway.
                - Dennis Grant
                FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X