Cheapest way to lower a 88 festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest way to lower a 88 festiva

What is the easiest way to lower a festiva? I have an 88 festiva L that I am itching to lower since I put 13 inch rims on her. She seems to sit a little taller now. I have found spring compression kits for 50 bucks, but I am sure there is another way. I have heard of cutting the springs, but what will that do to the ride and posssible wear and tear on the suspension? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you for your help.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Heat the springs with a torch, although not recommended, could cause handling issues.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

or cut the springs but also not recommended as is becomes a very stiff suspension

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

cutting the springs causes a negligable increase in springrate (which you want anyway).

DO NOT heat the springs, i've seen the results and they aren't preaty. the only way to do it properly is to use an oven and have a way to compress the spring while still fresh from the oven untill it has cooled off on it's own. and the results will be inconsistant at best anyway.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Hey he asked what "the cheapest" or "easiest" way was, not the "best" way.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

there are alot of toyota and honda people that cut the springs(use to where im from)...it looks stiffer than it should be...there looks as if there is 0 play which stresses the motor mounts and everything when you hit bumps...and you have to keep the cuts even

Comment

carry 3 other people in the car with you at all times....try to make sure they are all close to your weight....should do the trick.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by pyrothehitman View Post
                there are alot of toyota and honda people that cut the springs(use to where im from)...it looks stiffer than it should be...there looks as if there is 0 play which stresses the motor mounts and everything when you hit bumps...and you have to keep the cuts even
                thats because the honduhs are riding on their bumpstops. the springs are there just for show.
                Last edited by FestYboy; 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                  Hey he asked what "the cheapest" or "easiest" way was, not the "best" way.
                  i was just trying to make the point that heat is neither a cheap nor easy way to lower a car, and steer him away from that idea.

oh, and heating springs will reduce their rate, which is counter productive.

Comment

So the best way is to cut the springs? If so I can do that since I have all the tools for it.

Comment

yeah you can do it yourself....just cut the coils at the same spot it ends....gl

Comment

One more question. How much should I cut off? I am only looking for an inch maybe two inches all the way around. I think I can figure it out, I just dont want to cut them to short.

Comment

cut off 2 coils from each spring with a grinder. here is a pic of my aspire with 2 coils off the front and 2 1/4 off the back. it sits pretty level, but i kind of wish i left the extra 1/4 coil on the rear for more of a rake.

Comment

I cut 2 coils from mine, front and back. I haven't measured, but I think it's about a 2 inch drop. Went from being able to stick almost entire hand in between top of wheel and bottom of fender, to just barely two fingers in front and a tad higher in the rear. Has a slight rake like Ruppenduro mentions above....
                            "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

^ It'll be even lower once you reassemble everything..
                              -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                              -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                              -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Working...
                              X