1991 capri XR2 front brake swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 capri XR2 front brake swap.

I am getting ready to do this swap onto my 1991 festiva B6T and was wondering do the front brake lines fit the XR2 calipers or do I need the
    capri XR2 brake lines?

don't have to touch the lines, just bend the locating pin out of the way.

i take it you have the required aspire LCAs?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yes I do have the aspire LCA.I was wondering if you have to have your front end aligned after that also?

Thanks FestYboy for the information.

Comment

Originally posted by MTBOX View Post
        I was wondering if you have to have your front end aligned after that also?
        Definitely.... yes!
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

actually, i'm not too sure of this... i would recomend it either way though.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I have a question on the Capri brake swap. I know the stock 12" wheels are out. Can you use 13" wheels or do you need to go all the way to 14"?
            186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
            1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
            1992 aqua L (agua)
            1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

I found out about the wheels- the Tracer (1989) used these brakes with 13" wheels.
              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
              1992 aqua L (agua)
              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

Hopefully you can verify if the car needs to be lowered or not because that was the problem when I did my swap. the lower control arm wouldn't go into the frame because the spring was too long (stock suspension).
                Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by hot4dl8ly View Post
                  I found out about the wheels- the Tracer (1989) used these brakes with 13" wheels.
                  you sure of that? if so, that's an awesome discovery!

Comment

It is, but apparently only those wheels. I can't fit Nissan 13s over them.
                    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                      It is, but apparently only those wheels. I can't fit Nissan 13s over them.
                      This is very disappointing I was going to try to pull this swap off come spring time and my summer tires are going to be 14s but I was going to try and keep my stock wheels for winter time with some good snow tires. I was thinking about getting some 13s for winter but if I have to up to 14s minimum I think I am out Has anybody been about to fit 13s (besides the late 80s tracer)? Thanks and good info above ^^^
                      :festiva::newb::festiva:

Comment

I'm dubious about any 13" wheels fitting on the XR2 brake, with the 10.2" rotors. My 14" AR Estrellas just barely cleared the caliper, due to the stick-on wheel weights inside the wheel. With the smaller Capri brakes, which are more like Aspire brakes in size, I could believe that 13" wheels would fit.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by wrongfulleaf View Post
                          This is very disappointing I was going to try to pull this swap off come spring time and my summer tires are going to be 14s but I was going to try and keep my stock wheels for winter time with some good snow tires. I was thinking about getting some 13s for winter but if I have to up to 14s minimum I think I am out Has anybody been about to fit 13s (besides the late 80s tracer)? Thanks and good info above ^^^
                          You could get some 14" Capri XR2 wheels for snow tires. Might find some cheap steelies.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

XR2 rims won't fit the rear with out spacers or low pro tires.

Comment

John/Pu241 and I were attempting to do the Capri XR2 front brake swap on Kittystiva. Had all the parts in hand, including Aspire LCAs. I estimated 3-4 hours for the whole operation. Started at 0630 AM, ended at about 3 PM. 100 degrees and 100% humidity. DIDN'T git 'er done! :banghead:

After John left and I stopped crying, I drank some cold refreshing OJ, and took a cold shower*.

Called The Gregster for advice a couple of times, at different points in the attempt. Turns out that stock Festy springs are too long. Thinking about cutting one loop out of the front springs. Will this fix the problem?

*Because I was hot, not turned on.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X