Advice on FMS springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on FMS springs

Finally had to replace the LF wheel bearing on my '93L. Since the car has 130K miles, I decided to replace the bearings in all 4 wheels, have the rotors & drums turned, all new brakes, and replace the CV axles. Since it's tore down this far and I'll have to get it re-aligned anyway.................should I install the brand new set of FMS lowering springs that I've had sitting around for 2 years?
    The lower ball joints, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, etc. are all still nice and tight and the struts are almost new (15K mile old Monroe Sensa-trac's).

* Will the FMS springs be too stiff for the Monroe struts? (can't afford GR-2's right now)
    * Do the FMS springs ride real harsh?
    * Will it make a noticeable improvement in handling?

Any feedback from those who have FMS springs would be appreciated!
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

I do not find the FMS springs to be overly harsh, even on 175/50x13 tires. I now am using 185/60x14s and the extra sidewall helps, but they were bearable before. It's a personal choice tho. Yes these springs handle better, since they are shorter and stiffer.

I'd wait to get the struts you want, unless you don't mind doing them again. Might have to realign too.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

you can use the monroes just fine. Harsher than stock yes but still reasonable. Yes it handles better
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Thanks! Think I'll try it. I was worried about the cheap-o Monroe's not being able to properly dampen the stiffer springs. Also, I thought I remembered someone saying the FMS springs rode harsh, especially in front.
        Right now, the factory springs are pretty tired and saggy (had to add adjustable camber bolts last time it was aligned) and my car handles like refrigerator on a skateboard. I just want to improve the handling and still have a comfortable highway ride. If I rebuild the brakes and wheel bearings I will not want to do an Aspire swap anytime soon. I figure I'll stick to the factory steelie wheels and 155/80R12's since I have 2 almost new sets. I plan on welding a 1/2" hardened steel rod in the Festiva rear axle beam to duplicate the Aspire set-up. Hopefully, between the FMS springs, lowered center of gravity and the rear swaybar addition, the handling will improve and with the 155/80R12's and Monroe struts, the ride will be acceptable. I can alway upgrade to 175/50R13's and KYB's if I want to improve the handling. I'll post results when I get it done. Thanks for the input!!
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

You can always send them to me and I'll put em to good use.
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Originally posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
            You can always send them to me and I'll put em to good use.
            It's taken me long enough to get around to installing them, I was afraid the car would be completely worn out before I ever got them installed! I may skip the sway bar for now and see what the springs are like. I can't find any 4140 steel rod in stock anywhere local, so I may have to buy some "on-line" or special order some.

I also have a new FMS comp spec cam that I've had for almost a year. I've been looking for a good used B6 to put it in, but they appear to be as scarce as hen's teeth around here. I'm starting to think about just doing a BP swap and selling the cam, but I don't want to cut up the firewall to use the stock trans and I can't find the XR2 intermediate shaft to do a "G" trans swap. I may have to settle for a B8!
            Brian

Comment

^ If you do end up selling that cam, let me know.. I'd prolly buy it if I have the funds at the time.
              -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
              -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
              -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

You could chrome your steelies. They'd look 10x better. I've thought about doing it myself a few times, but it's one of those things... When you have the money you don't have the time, and when you have the time, your wife has the money.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  You could chrome your steelies. They'd look 10x better. I've thought about doing it myself a few times, but it's one of those things... When you have the money you don't have the time, and when you have the time, your wife has the money.
                  Thought about that myself once, but for what it would cost I could get a set of aftermarket wheels. My steelies are painted a very bright silver and look chrome from a distance. What I really want is to paint them the same "Anthracite" color as the Bullitt wheels on my 'Stang. It has a slightly bronze tint, but I can't find an "off-the-shelf" paint that matches it. I think it would look good with the polished trim rings and chrome center caps and lug bolts.
                  Attached Files
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X