Aspire with 15's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire with 15's

I'm bidding on some 15X6.5 wheels on ebay.

what sort of tires would be recommended so i don't get any rubbing or anything?

also i've read that wheels this big will throw off the speedometer, how do i or who do i have fix this?

Don't buy tires any larger in diameter than the stock tires and your speedo will be accurate still.
    HENRY
    Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

Andrew, make sure you know the offset of those wheels for your Aspire. Regular Aspire offset is 45mm positive for the 13 X 4.5" stock wheels.

I wouldn't go under 38mm offset, and not over 45. Just a guess, mind you. (I have 38mm offset VW 13 X 5.5" VW wheels on my '89 Festiva, but your car should allow a bit more room.)

Tires probably could be up to 195/50-15, though 195/45-15s should fit better.

Logan has a set of Kumho 195/45s for sale if your're interested.

If those ebay wheels are 45mm offset, you'll be pushing the wheel rims out one inch in each direction (inside and outside) compared with your stock wheels.

Also if you were to try to run a tire (theorectically?) sized 165/70-15, you'd raise your car one inch over the stock 165/70-13 size.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

the offset is 40mm, the guy selling them was originally going to put them on his Festiva actually

Unfortunately 195/45/15's don't seem to be easily available? I do have to think about the future as far as my tire buying. Though switching to 50s wouldn't be too hard presuming they do fit. What's the difference, really? I don't know my tires too well.

I might hit up this logan character then.

ooh also. i suppose I had better find a steel wheel or something in 15" as a spare. i wouldn't want to have to have my car towed or something in the event of a blowout just because i wanted awesome rims

Comment

Tire Calculator: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Difference from 195/45 and 195/50 is a slightly taller tire, no extra width is added. Radius changes from 11.0 in to 11.3.

You shouldn't have any problems with either size tires, and for the Aspire, I'd opt for the 195/50's just to have a little extra rubber since it's a heavier car.

Both sizes are available from TireRack, Discount Tire, etc.

And as for a spare... You'll be find with the stock spare. Your tire sizes aren't changing much from stock to these new wheels/tires. It may be a little smaller, but you'll be able to limp it home or get it to a shop to get a new tire. (or... if you watch EBay) you can actually find a lone wheel so you have a set of 5) - That's what I'm going to do, is have a full size extra spare (much like my Jeep)
          Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I suppose i should mention that these are your wheels i'm talking about :-P

I have a full size 13" spare I suppose I'll keep that then. If I can find a matching rim though it would be nice to have a proper 5 wheel setup like the good old days, presuming it'll fit in my spare wheel bay (the full size 13 barely does)

I saw some nice 195/50s at discount tire's website. plus if i did manage to get hold of some 195/45s, what if one needs to be replaced? heh i wouldnt want to have to get 4 new tires because i couldnt find one replacement

Comment

If you take long trips in that car you may want to consider what you'll do if you have a nonrepairable flat. With an evenly matched "full size" spare, you'll be in good shape. You will want to put it on one of the rear axles so it doesn't interfere with your handling so much.

Also, the 195/50-15s will be more common and cheaper than the 195/45s.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I rock the 195/50 on 15x6.5 wheels. I think they're just about the perfect size. I haven't rubbed the wheel arches at all, either. I do bottom out on occasion, but I think that's more from weak springs and me being a fatass than the tire/wheel combo.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

woo yay

lets hope i end up winning those then

i bottom out with my stock wheels when going over bumps hard enough anyway heh. i'll just have to take more care to avoid the big ones, no biggie

Comment

Working...
                  X