changing wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing wheels

its time to get new tires and im not sure what to do. i found a set of 13 inch wheels that fit no problem but im not sure if i should get tires for the 13s or stick with the original 12 inch wheels. at a purely mechanical aspect (acceleration and top end gas mileage) which would be better? the wheels dont look any better than the original 12s so looks wont matter. i know it depends on how tall the tire is so lets compare the average 12 iinch tire and average 13 inch tire (asuming the 13 is slightly taller)
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

A set of the Falkens in 175/60-13 would replicate your stock ride height and give you good handling with about the same acceleration (depending on wheel weight).

A set of them in 185/60-13 would put you 8mm higher to go with your 10mm wider tires.

Some 165/70-13s would put you 1/2 inch (12mm) higher than stock. My '89L 5 speed & Aspire brakes drove fine with 165/70-13s on VW alloy rims (13 X 5.5" @ 15 pounds each wheel). This size is getting hard to find though (it was stock size for Aspires, BTW).

If you go to the more common and easily available 175/70-13s, then they're 7mm higher than the 165/70s which puts you 19mm higher than stock. IMO, that's too high.

Some equally available 155/80s would put you about the same height as the 175/70s. Again, too high, IMO.

If you want to save some money and keep your acceleration, stick to the 145-12s or 155-12s on your stock rims. (For the record, the 155/80-12s are about 8mm taller than the stock 145/80-12s.)

I wouldn't worry about tires up to say 12mm taller for everyday economical driving with fair acceleration. Go over that and you'll be bogging your car down with "big heavy boots."

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

thanks karl...il prolly stick to stock so my speedo is corect and cheeper tires.
      90 L FI..second B3
      90 L Parts car
      Jay

Comment

Sounds good to me. If and when you put in the Aspire suspension and brakes, and/or a more powerful engine, then you should think about some significant tire & wheel upgrades.

Luxstiva's getting her B6 tomorrow, but she'll stay on 165/70-12s on front and 155/80s on the back until spring, when her Aspire suspension swap is scheduled.

I'm planning on either 165/70-13s or 165/65-13s on the 13 X 4.5" Aspire alloys for her general purpose rubber.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
        X