stupid question 'bout FMS springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question 'bout FMS springs

I plan on finishing my FMS spring swap this weekend (weather permitting).
    2 of the 4 springs are dual rate..........are they intended for the front or the back?
    Also, does the section with the tighter coils go on top or on the bottom?

My guess is the dual rate go on the front and functionally, it doesn't matter which end is up, but, I've heard opposing view points and I want to get it straight before I start the swap.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

dual rate in the front and not sure what side is up. i don't think i payed attention on mine
    1973 Cb750 haven't touched it yet with no idea what I am planning on doing with it
    1978 25th Anniversary edition Corvette
    1983 Chevy Elcamino
    1993 Ford Festiva GL
    2003 Hyundia Santa Fe ( Wifes Daily driver)
    some old dodge motorhome I have no idea of the year

Comment

The dual rates are thinner and taller and go in the back. The front springs are linear rate.

Putting the tighter coils down will leave less unsprung mass, but it's such a tiny difference it doesn't really matter.
      OX SMASH!!

Comment

^ you sure about that OX? i'm running the progresssive in the front that they fit right and feel right...
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by oxbrain View Post
          The dual rates are thinner and taller and go in the back. The front springs are linear rate.

Putting the tighter coils down will leave less unsprung mass, but it's such a tiny difference it doesn't really matter.
          This what I mean!......According to the Eibach website, the softer initial stage is designed to increase traction and provide a comfortable cruise. The firmer second stage is to improve handling, braking and cornering. It looks like their springs are all 4 the same in their sets. So, would the softer initial rate be better in the front (where the weight is) or in the rear where most cars have a less-stiff spring due to the lesser weight?

I guess I was hoping they would only physically fit in either the front or the back due to coil diameter.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

The springs have different diameters, just match them up as you swap.
            OX SMASH!!

Comment

When I installed mine, the spings themselves were marked "front" and "back" in black/gray "dot" lettering.
              Hard to see but in good light easy to find.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

that how i did mine ^ looked for a mark and that's what i found.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                  When I installed mine, the spings themselves were marked "front" and "back" in black/gray "dot" lettering.
                  Hard to see but in good light easy to find.
                  My question was even more stupid than I originally thought! I opened the box, took out a spring and looked it all over. Nothing printed on it anywhere. After reading Pu241's post, I went back and took another spring out and unwrapped it................"FRONT" was printed on it! For the record, The linear rate springs are marked "FRONT" and the dual rate are marked "REAR". (at least 3 out of 4 of the springs are marked). Thanks to all for the help!
                  Brian

Comment

Sweet! I put the dual rates in the back too!
                    Roger from FMS told me to, but I was still sweating over it.
                    Steve GT

Comment

Working...
                    X