Wheel tire size question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel tire size question.

I have the opportunity to get some 14" wheels off a Suzuki Swift that I quite like. Here's my question... which would you choose 175-70-13 tires or 185-60-14 tires?

Overall diameter of the two is very close so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks for your opinions
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I'm hoping you meant 175-70-14. I would go with the 60's myself but....
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Clarification... choosing between staying with my 13" wheels with the 175-70-13's or going to the 14" wheels with the 185-60-14's.

Sorry for the confusion
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

14 with the lower profile

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6˝ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Purely depends on whether you are biased toward better ride or better handling; and weight of the wheels is a factor too, for stopping distance and also how quickly the tire will react to a bump.

The 14's with tires are probably heavier, right? So with the 60 tires, you get better handling but longer stopping distance--unless you go with an Aspire brake swap, then it wouldn't matter much. The 13s with 70 series tires will give a more comfy ride. I have 70s on my Aspire and they are fine for ride comfort and also corner well, but obviously the 60s would corner a little better--and are still adequately comfortable.

You can improve the handling with an Aspire sway bar too.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^^agreed, I just purchaced a set of the same 323 wheels you have Ian. They are quite light, they make my 13 steelies seem like lead weights.

-Scott
            Aqua 93 L
            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Working...
            X