i got some wheels and have a few tire q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got some wheels and have a few tire q's

-first of all: the wheels are 6.5 wide and i wanted to know if that will cause any problems they are for front wheel drive and are not any deeper than stock.

want to go for a euro look like the vw crowd (the festiva does afterall sorta resemble the polo) so i want the wheels to stick out past the fenders slightly not much and have the tires (purposly not as wide as the wheels) taper in and roll under the fender. anyone try this before

-second question:i found a set of 155/65/13's and was wondering if that and the wheels combined would give me the look im going for or am i going about it all wrong. thanks for any input
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Are they 13" wheels? 6.5" wide seems too much for 13s.

A 155-wide tire probably wouldn't work on a 6.5" wide wheel. Normally you would find a 155 on a 4" to 5" wide.
    Last edited by TominMO; 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

yes they are 13" will they work or did i mess up
        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

yes they are 13's and the idea is to have the tires not be as wide a the wheels. ill try to get some pics to illustrate

Comment

I know what the look is that he's going for. You stretch the side wall in to almost expose the rims. Most shops wont do it because of liability reasons. i.e. it not seating right & losing the ability to corner properly.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

stretched sidewalls = fail...

wide wheels are for wide tires... get some real rubber to put on the road!
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

heres a few not my style IMO but if you like it. do it

Comment

im running 13x6.5's not sure of the offset but the wheels do not stick out... but im running a 205/60/13 tire drifters around here do this all the time... this is the look you want right?
                  I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

OH GAWD! I can see all types of bad fail in those pics!
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
                      im running 13x6.5's not sure of the offset but the wheels do not stick out... but im running a 205/60/13 tire drifters around here do this all the time... this is the look you want right?
                      If thats your car it says 225/45r17

Originally posted by bobbyspider
                      fastiva thats awesome and yes thats exactly what im looking for mabey a 205 looks great but mabey id push a 195 wow that looks tits!!!!! is that your festiva or another car?
                      A 195 width would lessen the overhang

Originally posted by MONSOON View Post
                      OH GAWD! I can see all types of bad fail in those pics!
                      Thats the reason most shops wont do it
                      Last edited by muscle_Car1; 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM.
                      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

A car with properly setup suspension will handle fine with "stretched" tires. But you have to buy good tires and they are a pain in the butt to live with daily.

It makes the steering feel very sharp because stretched tires are much less prone to sidewall squirm than tires that are as wide as the wheels or wider - so be ready to always be completely engaged in the act of driving - it won't give you a second's rest while you are driving it.

The downside is that you have significantly less contact patch than with tires that are properly sized for the same size wheel, so all out grip (sustained cornering) suffers.

Turn-in is much much sharper though, which is good for autocrossing, but not really fun in daily life.

Also, since you have a tire with less contact patch and they have less flex in them because they are stretched, the suspension is much more susceptible to problems with bad alignments. So be sure to have some adjustability in the suspension and be ready to play with it.

Don't do the extreme camber thing that had become a Euro fad lately - that will really make it a deathtrap.

They are also more susceptible to different air-pressures. You'll want to keep a close eye on the pressures. Get a good pressure gauge and get in the habit of using it a lot.

AND YOU NEED TO BUY GOOD TIRES! Cheap tires will literally fall apart before they wear out if you stretch them.

Stretching was an old autocrosser trick. In some classes, maximimum tires sizes were dictated by the rules - but wheels were open. So guys would get the widest tires allowed on the car, and then the widest wheel that they could get the tire to stay on. It used to be very common to see a lot of DSP class cars with stretched tires. If you weren't stretched, you might as well take it home.

Comment

thanks for the info jimmy. i do have an adjustable camber and im looking at keeping it straight no toe in or toe out. i dont want to go to extreme with it i just want the look, and for the part about limited tread on the ground... im already in a festiva running a stock wheel and tire so anything wider would be an improvement and sharper turning mite be a pluss because i dont have power steering. -thanks to all who have posted already i hope to hear from more in the future.

Comment

oh sorry... i should have been clear NOT MY CAR!!!! just the first close up i saw of a stretch that wasnt about to pop off the bead

Comment

and for everyone saying its a "fail" or its gonna pop off or how unsafe it is... ive seen 240's and civics run some serious side wall stretch when doing highway 49 canyon runs with no problem... tire shops dont mount them cause thay are a wicked p.i.t.a. anyone who has ever worked in a tire shop will back me up...i mean after all we all drive and modify sub compacts designed my mazda, built by kia, and are sold as a ford... so to each their own and if you have no positive imput or have nothing constructive to say take it else where....

for those who are unfamiliar with 49 its a really fun road but not all the turns have gaurdrails... and its a long way down...
                              look up driving directions from auburn, ca to cool, ca

Comment

Working...
                              X