Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibility of using a Capri Brake Booster and Master cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of using a Capri Brake Booster and Master cylinder?

Hey guys,

I still have the brake booster and master cylinder from the Mercury Capri XR2 I used as a parts car. I noticed on the master cylinder it has 4 lines going into it as opposed to only 2 on the Festiva. My question is this: Could I possibly plug off 2 of the line holes (1 rear, one front of course) and use it on my Festiva? It should provide me with alot more braking especially since I'm using the bigger Capri front brakes as well. also, it seems to extend out less than the festiva so there would be slightly more engine bay room. Plus it'd be awesome to save some money for my build.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

^ why would you want too?

I can lock my tires up with an aspire swap & stock festy master & booster. The booster maybe for it would lessen effort but the master has the same 13/16th size master as an aspire(stock festy is 3/4). That would only reduce the distance you press to move the same amount of fluid. I like having a slightly longer throw top my peddle as it allows for more finesse or a larger variety of braking forces.

Also the proportioning valve might be off as the capri had 4 wheel disc & festy has drum rears. They would require different amounts of fluid to apply the same braking force. It would work with some fine tuning of an adjustable proportioning valve(you want the fronts to lock just before the rears).
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I would want to because a new Festiva master cylinder is like $50, $25 used from TONYCASH. I'd rather used parts I have that could possibly work than buy parts I might not need. Since I'll still be using the Festiva Proportioning Valve it should still distribute the brake fluid evenly though, right?
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

maybe it has never been done and you should try it.. Problem is sometimes its just easier doing it a way that you know works like aspire.. If it were me i would use what is on it for now and upgrade later when i had the money to spend on extra parts... Unless your master cylinder is no good..
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Yeah that's the only reason why I'm even considering doing it: My master cylinder is toast. If my current master cylinder was good I wouldn't even be considering it right now.
          Current cars:

Comment

sounds like you are the Ginnie pig!
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

How did this work out? I think I might have to do the same...
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

My capri booster was toast so I just bought a junkyard Aspire one.
                Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                X