Aspire rear struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire rear struts

I just thought I would pass this on......
    I used a set of Monroe 71295 Struts to gain spring perch clearance for a set of 175/70/13 Michelins I bought to avoid using spacers. These are Aspire struts, and gave me the additional clearance I was looking for.
    Now that it was time for winter tires, I bought a set of Gabriel G510039 struts, also shown to be Aspire units to reinstall stock height springs for additional clearance.
    They have the same spring perch position as the Festiva struts.......... Additionally, instead of having a ledge on the perch, as GR2 and Supers in KYB's, and my Bilstiens, they have a flat edge toward the tire. Not sharp, but no rolled edge as the others have.
    I just wanted to pass this along to anyone who planned on using these to help out in fitment of larger tires. The edge of these look to me like they could ruin a tire if you did not catch on to this, and you were close to a rub situation as the tires heat up and expand, or flex in cornering.

HTH

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

I'm running 175/70/13's mounted on Honda VX wheels on my festiva, but I still have festiva rear struts. I have no issues with rubbing.
    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Like Fred, I have 175/70/13s on American Racing 5.5" wide rims with a 34mm (or was it 38mm?) offset and GR2 Festiva rear struts without any rubbing issues. At least I think they are Festiva rear struts (the previous owner replaced them). I'll check and let you guys know.
      Oscar

Comment

The Konigs with 175/13 were just too close for comfort. If I had tried the Gabriel's on them, it would have cut a slot in the tread.
        The reason I brought this up is that many are using 15" wheels, and using the Aspire struts to gain spring perch clearance. The Gabriel's just do not look to be a good choice compared to other struts. I also wondered if the GR2's had that extra clearance like the Monroe's I tried do.

Oh, and the Konigs are 13X5.5 with 38 mm offset.
        Last edited by m715; 12-29-2009, 05:05 PM.
        Have owned 9 so far
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

thanks, even with 2 spacers per side mine still rubs under hard cornering, thanks for the info.
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Michael... Good info. Thanx for passing it along. I've been wondering about that.

Do the Aspire rear struts raise the rear of the car? I'm not into the lowering thing, so this would be OK with me if they did.

Also curious: did you get an opportunity to get some photos for comparison?

Thanks!
            Last edited by sam.1956; 12-29-2009, 08:56 PM.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
            In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Okay, I looked at the rear struts in my 92 GL and they are KYB GR-2 340009. The Tire Rack has them as replacement shocks for both the Festiva and Aspire. I measured a 1" clearance between the tire and the strut's spring perch. If I go over big bumps the outside wall of the tire barely rubs on the fender lip (hasn't been rolled). The spring perch is 13" from the lower mount bolt. Tire and wheel size in post #3. Here are some photos of how much clearance I have (had some focusing issues lol):

Oscar

Comment

Greg, that is what I ran into trying the 175/13's. I found out that 3mm spacers still weren't quite enough, and I felt uncomfortable with the 5mm because of rough roads with off camber turns that I drive. It really puts a suspension to the test with the way I drive. The spacers were not solid, and had a multiple four and five bolt pattern cutout which left me thinking about balance and centering issues, anong with the fact that I would be depending on the stud to carry all the load.
                Sam, it did not raise the rear any that would really be noticable. Possibly 1/2". If you look at Oscar's pictures, that is how much space there is at the spring perch with the wheel/tire combo I spoke of above with the Konigs/Michelin X radials, and the Aspire strut made by Monroe. It is uncanny how close it would be actually, which makes me wonder if the KYB's shown are Aspire units. The festiva units put the spring perch down to where it touches the tread of the tire. I cannot take a picture of the Konigs on Shtinky, because I have already pulled them off , and installed the X-Ice Michelins on stock steel 13" 323 wheels for the winter.
                This is a picture of the Gabriels with stock 323 steel wheels/ 155-80-13 Bridgestone Blizzaks. I think this gives you an idea how close it gets with the stock offset of 38mm with even this skinny tire.
                Have owned 9 so far

Comment

I checked the GR2's that I took out when I removed the FMS springs for the winter, and mine are the 340009 rears also.
                  So......... the Monroes must be the only ones that have the higher perch location??????
                  I believe I will have to cabbage Shtinky for a day and do some measuring from eye to perch.
                  The other wheels MUST have a different offset from mine. I do know Roger told me that 38mm was the factory offset when I bought two of the sets of Konigs I have from FMS, and the used set is the same as they are.The steel wheels that are 323 type fit exactly the same with the exception that they are 4 1/2" wide instead of 5 1/2". 34mm offset may make all the difference, but still doesn't account for the height difference of the tire/perch position. The Bridgestones were as close with the KYB or Gabriel strut.
                  The Bridgestones are 22 1/2" tall, and the Michelins are 22" as mounted. The 175/60/13s I ran on the Alloys in the past were 20 1/2".
                  What is the diameter of your tires, Oscar?
                  Last edited by m715; 12-30-2009, 03:48 PM.
                  Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Just for S&Gs, I checked clearance between Curmudgeon with the 60's and FMS springs, and Rasta with the 155 80's and stock height springs. Just shy of 3" difference in height at the fender well opening!!! I mentioned I was raising it up for ground clearance for the winter, didn't I?
                    Last edited by m715; 12-30-2009, 03:53 PM.
                    Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Changing springs for winter clearance sounds like alot of work. (Atleast for me! )
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

Had them changed out in less than two hours. Just one of the lower rear strut bolts gave me a little trouble.
                        Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
                          I checked the GR2's that I took out when I removed the FMS springs for the winter, and mine are the 340009 rears also.
                          What is the diameter of your tires, Oscar?

My tires are 175/70/13's so the overall diameter is about 22.65" (calculated). I can measure the actual mounted diamater tonight. My wheels are 13x5.5 but the overall width 6". I'll check true backspacing this weekend.

So you think the 340009 struts have the spring perch at the same height as the stock Festiva rear struts? Anyone can measure the distance from the center of the strut's lower mounting point to the widest part of the spring perch on the stock Festiva strut?
                          Oscar

Comment

Mike, have you ever considered using 96-02 cavalier rear struts instead? the perch is taller and it's a bit stiffer than a factory replacement. i havn't installed a set yet (waiting till spring), but i don't forsee many issues (possible bushing trim needed).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Arty... do we know the Cav struts do to the body's "ride height"?

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                              In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Working...
                              X