Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered a coilover conversion, lets hope it works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a coilover conversion, lets hope it works.

It has a set of metal tophats for one set and I assume id use the rubber tophats for the rear, or just the stock ones. We'll see.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

if you use those springs its going to be stiff and under-damped (assuming your using GR2 or similar), but those will make for a good start!!

Shipping was kinda killer on them though, wasn't it!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Yeah shipping was brutal, lol. Yeah the springs are gonna be brutal but I came to find out if your car isnt lowered you cant use Capri brakes, so I needed them.
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

How are you going to prevent those springs from getting unseated? They look very short.
        Oscar

Comment

Same way you do with Lowering springs; I won't worry about it, lol.
          Current cars:

Comment

Lowering springs need to work with the overall shock travel. If the spring is shorter than the shock fully extended, you are asking for bad things to happen. I would definitely worry about it.
            Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
              Lowering springs need to work with the overall shock travel. If the spring is shorter than the shock fully extended, you are asking for bad things to happen. I would definitely worry about it.
              Well with the suspension at full droop on the FMS springs aren't they loose as well? I dunno about them because I haven't used them. I'll figure it out but it seems no one around here that has done the coil-over conversion has had the problem you are mentioning.
              Current cars:

Comment

i got those. the 400lb rate will make your kidneys bleed. WEE!

Comment

Yeah I took them off after three days. It literally hurt to drive. Please use different springs. QA1 from summit are 38 a piece.
                  Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
                  88? Parts car-sold
                  91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
                  86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
                  1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Yeah I definitely will, what spring rate would you recommend as a happy medium? I don't care if they are firm.
                    Current cars:

Comment

From what I hear, there's a difference between:

Stock>Firmer than stock>Firm>Concrete>Diamond-tungsten plate>Ebay coilover kits

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

They are suppose to come in today. I'm gonna put the springs on it so i can at least roll the car out of the driveway. I'll work on getting springs that have a softer dampening rate than a rock later.

One thing thats nice about Florida at least is its mostly flat.
                        Current cars:

Comment

Well, got it today. See the problem with them though?

Do you see it? PLASTIC top hats. and of course exchanges have to be done 3 days after being recieved so the guy is just gonna wait until 3 days and say "oh, can't be exchanged". Freaking eh. This project is just falling apart because of stupid rip-off crap over and over again.
                          Current cars:

Comment

Why don't you use the original top hat with the new one under it on the front and the one on the back will be fine also because the new one simply rest in the pocket of the strut tower.
                            ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Because I don't really trust the car riding on plastic top hats? I mean our car is light and all but if that plastic shatters then I go off the road in a big uncontrolled glorious crash.
                              Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X