spring rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring rates

Ok i have done alot of reading of others suspension and see that most of every one has to stiff or are using them for the auto x racing. So i was just curious on what rate of spring would be best for a every day driver and usually with two people in(around 275 lbs total) it with a bp swap and will have aspire swap as well. What rate spring would be a best bet?

"Best" is relative. I have 200 front, 150 rear and I think thats about just right for a 'sporty' feel and still being a daily driver. Not too rough etc, and still close enough to being the right rates for the GR2s. And it handles great!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

what would be 'just right' for the 323 gr2??? and what gr2 are you refering to for the rear?
      Negative i am a meat popsicle...

Comment

Ok.....Can't i just use new stock aspire struts? The gr2's are a little to much for me. I work at a parts store so i going to get stock aspire struts and are like almost half that price with my discount.

Comment

Yes you can. But remember that the spring perch on the Aspire struts is about 3/4" higher than Festivas.
          Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
          - Unknown
          I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
          - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
          - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Ok....now do i have to cut the perch on the struts.

Comment

NO! order the proper length spring and rate to achieve the ride hight and quality you want. aspire springs with 1/2 to 1 full coil removed in the rear does the trick for most ppl.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok...I want to be a little lower, but not a whole lot to where i rub all the time or when i hit big bumps but want to be lower. Also my dad said not to cut the springs because of how it weakens them. So what height of spring would be recommended that i should use? I was thinking of a set of lowering springs from a civic.
                like these

Comment

^Those things are pieces of crap. Unless your only using the car for autox on perfectly smooth pavement they are way to high of a spring rate. Something like 500lb+/- I believe. I have two sets, not worth it.

Comment

If you haven't yet read the part of that thread on coil-overs. I miss typed earlier, i have 150/125 springs in 10" length. If your going to use aspire struts you will want shorter springs for at least the rear (8" or so should be good if you don't want to lower too much, 6" if you want to be able to lower more).

The civic coilovers will be like riding on rocks, gotta replace the springs with decent ones of the right rate.
                    ~Nate

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Really ok. In your thread you said you will have to remove the perch on the rears. I was to get stock ones and springs like you did should i cut the perch off?
                      What car where yours for?(springs)
                      Last edited by hofficergrover; 01-28-2010, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Well did some pricing on struts going to stay with festiva struts they are cheaper. Will be Monroe struts.

Comment

Springs are not for a specific car... you buy them by what rate/length you want.

I didn't cut the perches off for a while, you only have to do that if a) you want to run a wider tire that is rubbing them or b) you have 10" springs and want to lower it more.
                          ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Ok cool thanks
                            What diameter of spring would i need?
                            I really appreciate it.
                            Last edited by hofficergrover; 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                              Also my dad said not to cut the springs because of how it weakens them.
                              Cutting coils from a spring does not weaken the spring. You may want to ask your dad why he thinks that happens.
                              Oscar

Comment

Working...
                              X