Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade stiffer struts: Anyone else do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade stiffer struts: Anyone else do it?

All I could find was Quaddawg's 323/Mirage combo and FastivaB6TG25MR's Camry/Maxima set-up. Has anyone else done these, or have done differently? And yes, I did search but nothing really came up.
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

no one has ever tried anything else?
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

working on 5th gen cavalier rear struts... (spring time)
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

do you mean 3rd gen? (1995-2005?) (Via Wikipedia)?

EDIT: I've seen pics of 240SX rear struts, I'd love to compare them. I dont need the spring hat to work because I'm chopping it off for the coil-over conversion sleeve.
        Last edited by chrisofna; 02-19-2010, 01:48 AM.
        Current cars:

Comment

yeah... the last ones before switching to the cobalt.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Was told by a few folks here and by a Monroe rep, that the Aspire struts are stiffer, as the Aspire weighs more, and are a direct bolt in.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

How close-looking are they? I might have access to a parts car here.
              Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                Was told that the Aspire struts are stiffer, as the Aspire weighs more, and are a direct bolt in.
                Yeah but not by much if any. The Aspire only weighs like 100 pounds more if that.
                Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
                  How close-looking are they? I might have access to a parts car here.
                  you'll have to grind a few thousands off the lower sleave, but other than that, should bolt in with your prefered coil-over, or mod the perch to hold the stock springs (j-body springs are larger in dia.)

Comment

ChrisofNA : did you see this link?
                    Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yes... Read the First post:

All I could find was Quaddawg's 323/Mirage combo and FastivaB6TG25MR's Camry/Maxima set-up. Has anyone else done these, or have done differently? And yes, I did search but nothing really came up.
                      Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        you'll have to grind a few thousands off the lower sleave, but other than that, should bolt in with your prefered coil-over, or mod the perch to hold the stock springs (j-body springs are larger in dia.)
                        That should be quite an increase, combined with the Camry Front struts that would be quite a nice set-up since both cars weigh about the same. I'm trying to figure out how else you could get rid of the holes being too big for the knuckle on the Camry struts though, I don't like the idea of my car's camber being relied on by 2 big washers.
                        Current cars:

Comment

weld the top and bottom of the holes to make a slotted hole that fits the stock bolt.

Comment

my festiva has apex suspension meant for VW, the holes needed to be slotted though

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

some of my suspension pics got moved when i organized my photobucket account... if you wanna see some pics look up user name: aintnobitch on photobucket.com
                              I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X