Forced into an Aspire brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced into an Aspire brake swap

We had a little ice and snow in the portland area.

This completely cripples the city and people drive like utter idiots.
    Meanwhile I like to go out and slide the Doomer around and terrorize those fools in their big SUV's and those timid sissies doing 10 mph in a Subaru.

Yep I am pretty cool zipping around town, doing a little e-brake powerslide, passing on the outside, threading thru traffic.
    Then on tight right hand corner...........oh shiite....front end pushing......spinning.....it wont correct.....cant ebrake and drift the rear......front still sliding around......My 12" jupiter's wont hook up......uh oh.......here comes the curb........oh shiite...........BONK!!! Yep.......so much for being cool.

Fortunately, I was only about a 2 miles from the house, so I limp home into the garage to get a better look.
    Bent the front wheel badly...... and it produced a nice wobble in the drive and the alignment is now way off.
    Since purchasing another stock festy wheel would be toopid, now I am forced to finally install all those Assfire brake parts laying on my garage floor.
    Now I have to go out and buy some assfire wheels and tires.
    Prolly just going to get the stock Aspire steelies from the U-pull-it and get a set of the Falkens.

UPDATE= Upull-it wants $100 for the wheels.
    A set of Falkens ziex 512 these seem to be the corrct choice.....$50 each plus mount and balance. $250

Well, Crikey.....this guy on craigslist is selling an auto aspire for $400.

hrmm. me thinks to self "tires and wheels....and a assfire radiator for my B6 motor, maybe do the auto brake swap and sell my manual aspire brake schtuff ?

Maybe sell other parts and pieces to fellow FF.com'ers?
    Anyone want a B3 with 118k on it ? Or some Aspire pieces ?
    1991 Festiva " The Doomer" 8vB6 Azzfire brake swap complete !

Is the Aspire 4 or 2 door

Id be interested in the rear door panels for my 4 DR
    1996 Aspire, 2DR 5SPD 185 60 14, Aluminum rims, Mild Stereo system, some neon tubes, 185 000 km not a speck of rust runs like a champ
    B8-ME Swap COMPLETED.

Comment

My local U Pull It charges $5 or $10 for steelies. I got my Aspire alloys for $15 a piece!

There's a price for being "cool."

I'd stick with the manual rotors: plenty of stopping power with less unsprung weight.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

from the description of his driving i'd say he needs all the unsprung weight he can get, for the sake of his neighborhood, don't let him get any quicker!
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

All harassment is welcomed and deserved.

I am just trying to not end up with 2 nonmoving vehicles in the drive way.
          The wife would kill me.
          Trying to convince her that I 'need' to spend $300 on these tires and wheels to use the festy as my 'commuter' car isnt progressing well. But she likes the idea of getting all brake swap stuff out of the garage.

I had one parts yard quote me $167 a wheel for aspire alloys.

Comment

Originally posted by Perle

All harassment is welcomed and deserved.

I am just trying to not end up with 2 nonmoving vehicles in the drive way.
            The wife would kill me.
            Trying to convince her that I 'need' to spend $300 on these tires and wheels to use the festy as my 'commuter' car isnt progressing well. But she likes the idea of getting all brake swap stuff out of the garage.

I had one parts yard quote me $167 a wheel for aspire alloys.
            one around me wanted 65 a pop. so I opted for Konig Theory from an FMS ebay auction since the extra few bucks means I can use them before and after I do the swap.
            "Nothing's gonna grieve us
            When we drive Festivas
            I could go a hundred miles an hour
            Long as I got the Almighty Power
            With my plastic Jesus
            Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

Yep, buying Aspire alloys from a dealer or wheel shop is expensive.

I lucked out on my set at a U Pull It. $15 a piece! No, they aren't in the best shape, but they look serviceable and I'm not picky.

Keep looking and you might get lucky like I did. Good luck!

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Agreed...

I am not picky about looks.
                Myself, I am more concerned about performance..........er....with the car, just to clarify. ops:

The guy at the parts counter didnt like my attitude about how I can get a full set of Konigs that are Lighter, Faster and Better looking than what he is selling for a single stock cast wheel.
                Ok...maybe a few bucks more...but point made!

The local parts yards are so finicky...one day you can haul out a complete Aspire brake swap, B6 motor, both front seats and steering wheel from a protege, also the radiator from said aspire...and get charged $300.

The next day, they want $180 for a stupid intake from 92 mazda.
                Then drive across town at another parts yard owned by the same company and pay $20 for the same intake.

Wow...didnt mean for this thread to be a rant about Junkyards......................................me steps down from soapbox. :?

Comment

I just picked up another aspire swap yesterday. My buddy and I were dropping a few scrap cars and I saw the aspire and he found a few ford 460 motors. The owner said he would just swap us scrap weight for it. So that worked out to about $1 per 20 lbs. Not a bad deal. I'll try to get back this week with him when he gets the rest of the motors and get a few more things.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                  BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                  BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                  New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Your gonna put a 460 ford motor into a Festy?

That aint right

Comment

Originally posted by Perle
                      Your gonna put a 460 ford motor into a Festy?

That aint right
                      No 460 for me. My friend picks things like this up and usually turns a nice profit. I wish there were some Mazda's around this yard, they are usually crushed right away. I'd be able to get a heck of a deal on them. I missed a running B6 from an 88/89? tracer a few weeks ago.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Swap is under way.
                        Everything cool cept for a complete seized bolt.
                        It holds the lower end of the strut to the rear swingarm.
                        Seized and sheared the head off.
                        So I cut the hell out of the swing arm and extracted the strut from the car.
                        Now I am stuck with a flush cut bolt stuck in bottom of my festy strut.
                        Gonna get medieval on it.
                        Gonna try to press out the bolt with the old "vise and socket trick" :twisted:

Comment

Well ..........no point in trying that.
                          The strut is blown.

Crap, I was going to do the KYB GR2's....just not yet.

So now the swap is gonna have to sit mid progress untill I get another used strut, or buck up and get the new struts.

Comment

There is a new set on Ebay and they are in Milwaukee.
                            Brian
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                            :fish:

Comment

Hey those are the ones I'm selling on there now hehehe thanks for pointing them out
                              Paul
                              91GL
                              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X