new tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tires

ok so im going to buy 5 new tires in a few weeks and i have a question about that. stock is 155R12 right? what about the third number? i dont know how much of a difference the third number makes but i want to get a nice set of tires that will be good all year without harming my gas mileage. i didnt ask which ones they looked up or what i can get but the shop says they can order 155R12s for $50 a piece.. they also have to fit in the spare tire spot.

The spare tire is a 13". I run 165R70 12's on my 93GL @ $ 37.00 ea from Hercules
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

my spare is a full sized tire and fits fine. 165r70 ? i thought r meant rim size, so like r12 is a 12".
      i dont know anything about tires but i really want to know an 'experts' opinion on what will be a good all year tire that wont hurt my gas mileage rather than a 'this works for me'
      However i really appreciate all the help i can get since im at the mercy of your guys opinion, me being a tire newb and all

Comment

165-70x12; an "r" in there just means it's a radial, which most tires nowadays are anyway.
        165 is the width of the tire, in mm, across the tread.
        70 is the "aspect ratio"--the height of the tire; 70 means it is 70% as tall as it is wide, or 115.5mm (about 4.5" tall).
        12 is the rim diameter.

If you're sticking with 12" tires, this is a good size. Slightly wider than 145 or 155 means more traction; lower aspect ratio means less rolling/more stability when going around corners. Personally I recommend 13" Metro wheels for a cheap upgrade, which gets you a much greater selection of better-quality tires, up to 185mm wide. But a 185 will rub on the rear spring perch; I have heard that a 175 won't. But if you upgrade to 13" rims, keep one good full-size 12" tire as a spare. I consider the "ideal" all-around daily-driver tire to be 175/70x13, with 30-35 PSI in the tires.
        Last edited by TominMO; 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

OEM, aka stock, tire sizes were 145-80-12 and 165-70-12.

The 155-80-12 are a direct replacement though your speedo and ODO will be lightly off.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Here's a great find when I was looking for new tires:

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            But a 185 will rub on the rear spring perch; I have heard that a 175 won't.
            I've heard that swaping the rear spring perches with Aspire perches will solve this issue - I know for a fact the the perch is higher because I measured it and compared to the festy

As long as your running the Festiva rear springs you shouldn't notice much change in the shock absorber - if you use the aspire rear springs the car will have a higher rate in the rear and seem like a rock wagon unless you have it loaded down
            Last edited by Festiva_tunner; 04-28-2010, 07:51 AM.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

vrey helpful^^ good info

Comment

Working...
              X