Help with 323 alloy wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 323 alloy wheels

I bought a set of the 323 "pepper shaker" alloy wheels from Arnie last week. They have 175/50R13 tires and fit like a glove...........except for one problem:

On the rear axle, the center dust cap actually sticks out past the outer surface of the wheel. I could not install the flush-fitting aluminum center caps on the back wheels.
    I removed the dust cap completely, but the center spindle stub shaft still sticks out about 1.5mm too far and will not let the center cap fit flush. Should I:

A) add a spacer behind the wheel?

or

B) trim the end of the stub shaft with a cut-off tool?

Anyone else w/323 alloys have this problem?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

spacer... unless you want the rear to rotate more, in which case trim the spindle.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Typical problem. Before I bought the spacers I just installed the center cap from the Festiva alloys.
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

1/4 Spacer!

-Scott
        Aqua 93 L
        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

What type of spacers did you guys use? Can they be used with the lug bolts, or do I have to convert to lug nuts? I thought of putting washers behind the wheels, since they center on the hub pretty nice, but the way the wheels are made I don't think washers would work.

I love the shorter 175/50-13 tires! The speedo is about 5 MPH off, but I gained a noticeable increase in low RPM power around town. I drive around 2600-2700 RPM on the highway in 5th, but that equates to about 60MPH now instead of 65. My average MPG per tank went from 43 to 46 and it pulls hills easier as well. It just takes me a few minutes longer to get where I'm going.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Check out this thread. It has some comments on the spacer...

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
            X