aspire rear springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire rear springs

I'm running a kyb-gr2 setup with FMS springs on +38mm offset 15".

I'm all for the mad flush look, but my super expensive tire are rubbing!

Has anyone ever used aspire springs in the rear, different springs in the front?

Will regular aspire springs fit on a kyb shock? Is there a different year/manufacturer that would work, and maybe give me a little more height?

Presently it looks cool, but it's not a usable config.

Mon arme a moi, c'est un stylo.

Several threads are in the custom suspension on springs/shocks.
    There are several options but being at work and on my phone,
    it's difficult to locate them for you.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

You can run cut front stock springs on the back, that would be stiffer since the front carries more weight than the back does. Or you could get some aspire rear springs and cut them down to where they are the same ride height as what you are running right now.
      -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
      -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
      -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Bebandit, I was interested in knowing if someone else was running aspire rears, something else fronts.

I've read many of these threads, but I haven't seen anytwhere that the KYB-GR2 shocks, sold by FMS for the festiva, would work with stock new aspire springs.

I wouldn't cut them down, I *want* some more height. It's sad It won't be hella flush anymore, but I can live with a rake look, if it means I can run around with a passenger.

Would a higher rated spring, say from a vw rabbit also work? The front is fine & never rubs (maybe because it isn't progressive rate?) It's the rears that rub.

Festiva Fred, by your comment, you know the stock aspire springs will fit on the perch of the KYB-gr2's?

Comment

^I don't see any reason why they wouldn't fit...
          -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
          -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
          -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Have you rolled your fenders?

-Scott
            Aqua 93 L
            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

rolling won't help, Leapin. It's the part where the fms euro bumper bolts in. Can't flex out the fiberglass without cracking it. I just need more clearance.

Comment

I've done two Festivas with all cut Aspire springs. They fit on either Festiva or Aspire struts, front or rear, so yes, you can put full length Aspire springs on your GR2s. I run GR2s on Luxstiva with cut Aspire springs and I get some rubbing over bumps so I need to put in uncut or lesser cut springs. You might also try new regular or heavy duty Festiva rear springs from FMS if you want new ones. Roger sells them in pairs so you don't have to buy all new Festiva springs. Check to see if he still has them.

The cheapest route is to run junkyard rear Festiva or Aspire springs, but if you have Aspire rear struts, I'm not sure how high your back end will turn out to be.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I have Aspire KYB's all around with stock uncut Aspire springs... not exactly what you are looking for, but let me know if you want me to send pictures.
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Thank you for the confirmation Safety-guy!

I would love to see pics Aaronbrook37. So far, the plan is to run front festiva springs in the rear.

Comment

I just did the whole aspire swap with the aspire springs and struts, and it sits really nice! Especially since I am running 14" wheels. So I would personally recommend that you go with some aspire springs in the rear. For a bit of reference the car with the aspire swap sits around 24.5" high from the top of the fender down.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                      -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

With what size tires?
                        Oscar

Comment

I put on some new 185/60/14 tires. They are the perfect size, as any wider would need spacers in the rear

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                          -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

I was asking the tire size to see where the springs actually put you. The height of the back of my car with GR2s, FMS springs and 175/75/13 tires is 22.25" to the fender. Your overall tire diameter is only 0.1" larger than mine but my car sits a good 2" lower. I think the FMS springs are way too soft.
                            Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                              I was asking the tire size to see where the springs actually put you. The height of the back of my car with GR2s, FMS springs and 175/75/13 tires is 22.25" to the fender. Your overall tire diameter is only 0.1" larger than mine but my car sits a good 2" lower. I think the FMS springs are way too soft.
                              Might want to be sure your both measuring in the same place.
                              Also, what tire pressures are the two of you running?
                              Stock pressure, which I wouldn't run on a larger tire anyway, and max cold pressure give a larger ride hight difference than one might first think.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X