Rio struts installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio struts installed

Got both complete loaded struts for $70.... used of course.

Decided to throw them in as is.... lol bad move.

The pics dont do it justice. The front end is so high its crazy. I think I'm gonna try cutting two coils out. Just to hold me over until I can get the coilover swap started...

In other news, I found an electric stove at our dumpsters the other day, and saw an opportunity. $12 at the scrapyard. It was 140 lbs. Im gonna say the festy weighs about 1850 empty with no gas.

91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

That looks very similar to the aspire swap clearance. Good job though!

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

if those rims had more bling you'd have a donk, box and bubble festiva.
      almost as bad as twenny fo's on a 1978 caprice, or celebrity, or beat up pontiac.

Comment

:dink::laughing2:

o wait u said donk..
        91 red l-

Comment

I don't see what the problem is....LOL.

Comment

I'm going to be doing Rio front struts with cut Aspire springs. My first Aspire swap is coming off Muttstiva and I'll use those springs, which I cut one coil from. They give a good stock looking ride height.

If you cut the Rio springs, I'd try one to 1.5 coils to start with and see how it does.

I'm still a couple weeks away from my plans. I just started taking Muttstiva apart today.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Russ yours looks pretty stock.

I gotta ask though, been wondering for a long time, what are your rims and caps from?

Ohh and heres what I did today. Made a lucky guesstimate.

equals

The height is perfect I think. It was a bit high at first but after the suspension loaded up a bit it came down. Its still cushy too, not harsh at all over bumps like the cut festy springs. Shouldn't rub either. Theres more body roll than with the festy springs but its also a good bit higher. An aspire sway bar should help fix that.

There was a casualty from my 4x4 festiva misadventure, my driver side axle. The boot is shredded and all the grease is flung all over under there. Its getting replaced under warranty Im guessing too much angle and it was pulled outward too far.
              Last edited by bhazard; 05-16-2010, 07:11 PM.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Wow, 2.5 coils! Well if I use my Rio springs to cut I now have a better idea of how much to cut!

Interesting you say they have more roll than cut Festiva springs, since the Rio springs are thicker stock.

Thanks!

Karl

Comment

Could you swap over the Festiva Springs if you wanted to? What did you do with a top-hat and the strut bearing?
                  Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                  1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                  2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                  2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I got a better idea. How about you make those pics even bigger so I can get twice as seasick having to scroll from one side to the other like a drunken sailor. Huh?
                    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                    #2 .....Cheesehead
                    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                    #4 .....Montana Project
                    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                    Bought her back for $450
                    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
                      I got a better idea. How about you make those pics even bigger so I can get twice as seasick having to scroll from one side to the other like a drunken sailor. Huh?
                      How do you think I feel I'm viewing then on a 2.5 x 3 inch screen?

Good job on the swap what year Rio

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                      92 GL - parts car
                      97 aspire - parts car
                      87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                      http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                      Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Rios from 2001 and 2002 have two bolt strut mounts which bolt right in our cars, while the 1.6 engines from 2003 on had three bolt strut mounts. In 2003, which was a transitional year, both 1.5 and 1.6 engines were offered, so you MAY find 2003 1.5s with two bolt mounts. I'm not sure.

I believe the struts from 2001 to 2005 are the same except for the mounts, so you might be able to use newer (2003-2005) struts if you switch to your Festiva or Aspire two bolt strut mounts.

In 2006, Kia and Hyundai combined, and the Rio and Accent became "siblings," so front ends are probably totally different. I haven't checked yet.

Karl

Comment

"OOOOOOOH what do you do with a drunken sailor!!!"

-Scott
                          Aqua 93 L
                          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

your antenna is missing a screw lol i like the look with the springs not cut, but thats just me

Comment

So ok I did a quick search and couldn't come up with a reason to go with the rio struts other than maybe clearance for wheels. So is that the only reason or is their a performance advantage aswell?

Comment

Working...
                              X