Tire Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Help

I'm in need for some new tires. I currently have 155R12's on stock rims. So I checked out Tire Rack and they list 145R12, and 165/70/R12,as replacements.(No 155R12) They are both Yokohama Y372. Not sure which ones to get. Would like to get some opinions from you guys. Is there any benefits or draw backs on either size?

Also they list preferred installers, where i can get then mounted. There is one close to where I live. It lists the mounting and balancing fee, tire disposal fee, and a TPMS Service of 4.00 per tire. What is a TPMS Service?

I hope I posted this in the right forum.

Thanks, Rich

Both the 145 and 165 sizes were the stock size's for our cars. The 145's came on steel wheels and the 165's came on alloy's. 155's were jst the common replacement not the original size.
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

get the 165s have a little more grip dont blow off the road when a truck goes by
      91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

So i can put the 165's on the steel rims?

Comment

Originally posted by rmp2711 View Post
          So i can put the 165's on the steel rims?
          I'm not sure about that.
          The OEM tire was, as 25Horseplay said, 145, the 165 would be two sizes over that.
          Some tire places have issues with that, others do not!
          Check with whoever will be doing the mounting and balancing, so you don't have any issues, before you purchase.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

TPMS stands for tire pressure monitoring system. in the newer cars each rim has a TPMS sensor in it to tell you on the dash when one of your tires goes low. you shouldn't get charged for this cause obviously your car does not have TPMS
            A nice car is like another mans woman, you can look but do not touch!

91 civic h/b built and boosted a6/z6 and wagovan real time 4wd conversion
            68 plymouth barracuda fast back 4spd (summer car)
            91 L (RIP)
            65 plymouth sport fury 2dr convertible 440 (SOLD)
            63 plymouth valiant 2 dr sedan (SOLD)
            93 dodge dakota 5.2L 4x4 (SOLD)
            86 Ranger 2.9L 4x4 with 4inch lift (SOLD)

AND I WISH I STILL HAD THEM ALL!

Comment

thanks for the info. Now I don't have to worry about the TPMS fees. I think I will go with the 145R12's.

Thanks

Comment

Don't limit yourself to the tires available at the tirerack. Check onlinetires.com too. They have a good selection and the prices are also very good.
                Oscar

Comment

Thanks, Their tires cost less, but shipping to NJ would cost 82.00.

Comment

Yeah, shipping is more but sometimes it balances out. I just like that they have a better selection of small-size tires.
                    Oscar

Comment

165's will fit, but, they will be a little taller on the steel wheels vs. the slightly wider alloy wheel were designed for. Even so, they may be closer in height to the original 145/80 once mounted. The 155/80R12 was an in-between size made for universal replacement and they are almost borderline too tall on the steel wheels.
                      Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                      04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                      62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                      Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                        165's will fit, but, they will be a little taller on the steel wheels vs. the slightly wider alloy wheel were designed for. Even so, they may be closer in height to the original 145/80 once mounted. The 155/80R12 was an in-between size made for universal replacement and they are almost borderline too tall on the steel wheels.
                        The 155's have always been perfect on my cars....they are exact with my speedo...confirmed by GPS...tried that in 3 different cars and it was all the same.
                        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        There ain't no rest for the wicked
                        until we close our eyes for good.
                        I will sleep when I die!
                        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yeah, I would like to get the 155's but when I enter them on tire rack nothing comes up. So I'll have to get 145's. I got a couple quotes locally and they want 74.00 to 80.00 per tire. By the time I pay for mounting and balancing, disposal fees, and tax I'm looking close to 400.00. Tire Rack seems like the way to go. I can get 4 tires shipped, (from Delaware,no tax)have them locally mounted,and balanced,and disposal fee for around 300.00.

Comment

Working...
                          X