Energy Suspension sway bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy Suspension sway bar bushings

I went to install these on my car and found that surely the reason they slip when using their cap is because the mounting bracket that bolts to the frame has a small dish in it for the oem bushing.. I think I may have remedied this. I cut a piece of 3/16" steel to go over the 2 studs. This creates the flat surface that the bushings need to stay in place without distorting them by using the Festiva cap.

I will test them all this week and see how they hold up.

I can picture what you did and why. Any follow up would be great because I need to replace my LCA's and sway bushings ASAP. I'd really like to use the poly bushings for the sway.

89 L

Comment

DJ, don't use the Energy Suspension supplied bushing brackets. There's a reason why the Festiva "bushing retainer" is made of thicker steel and is physically larger.

I almost found out the hard way when one of the brackets snapped on my car. All the force from the forward and rearward motion of the front wheels is transferred to the car through those brackets, and they are much too weak to be able to withstand those forces. If you did a few hard stops, you'd see what I meant. I ended up using the Festiva "bushing retainers", they don't fit exactly like they should, but at least they are strong. I would try reshaping the bushing to fit better with a Dremel tool if I were you.
      * Retired Festiva-er*
      1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
      B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Fred wrote:

I almost found out the hard way when one of the brackets snapped on my car. All the force from the forward and rearward motion of the front wheels is transferred to the car through those brackets, and they are much too weak to be able to withstand those forces.
        You're talking about the Suspension Tech brackets, right?

Different but related concern:

Is there a need to strengthen/supplement the stabilizer bar front body mountings? Perhaps with extra brackets or something?

(For those readers who may not realize it: Festiva front stabilizer bars are not just "sway bars," they also function as "de facto trailing arms" to position the front knuckles.)

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

bushings

That is exactly what I did, with mine. I used the stock festiva brackets, then used a belt sander to shape the bushings to the festiva bracket, then I welded metal plates under the flats of the stock bracket and drilled them through, so that I didn't have to take as much material off the bottom of the bushing, seems to fit pretty well.
          Chris Rummel

Comment

Just wanted to dig up this old thread so people can now have some pictures of what people are talking about. I finally broke down and bought the Energy Suspension generic 7/8" bushings from Amazon.com for $22 shipped.

I also had to grind down the flat of the bushing to match the curvature of the existing bushing as well as grind down the edges. It took about 1.5 hours and my bench grinder. not very difficult.

Here are some pix:

Any questions comments feel free.. -Kyle
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Good pics! Thank you for posting them!
              Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
              '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
              '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Caution ! ! !

I have always been taught, NOT to load up grinding wheel with soft materials. They tend to explode from the heat build up. Have seen pictures, not a fun thing to have happen.
                Use a belt sander, much safer.
                I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Where is MONSOON ¿?¿

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Originally posted by Maxtiva View Post
                    Where is MONSOON ¿?¿
                    Never around when you need him :p
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by frogman View Post
                      I have always been taught, NOT to load up grinding wheel with soft materials. They tend to explode from the heat build up. Have seen pictures, not a fun thing to have happen.
                      Use a belt sander, much safer.
                      Good advice though.
                      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Maybe Monsoonsy got a life.

Comment

Working...
                        X