festiva/aspire strut differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• festiva/aspire strut differences

ok ok now can someone tell me the difference between the festiva and aspire front struts? i know the rears are identical, and that people have used the front aspire struts on festivas when they complete the brake swap. so why can't I use the festiva gr-2 struts on my aspire?
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Isn't the aspire's taller, maybe a little heavier duty??
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

The rear struts are not identical. If you look at them side by side you will see that the spring perch on the Aspire strut is about an inch higher than the Festivas
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

if i wasn't so lazy i guess i could pull one off my festiva and compare it to the spare aspire front strut i have layin around. i'll have to see if i have time for it. i'd really like to just go with high performance struts and lowering springs rather than spending the moola for the teins right now. but who knows.
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

I believe it is the height of the spring perches as well on the front struts. I remember the parts store not having 2 for a Festiva but said they could use another strut (probably Aspire). And the difference was the spring perch height.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

As far as I know, the front struts are identical. The springs are slightly harder for the stock Aspire replacements, maybe a wee bit longer. Spring perches are identical in the fronts. Rears about 3/4-1" higher.

KYB front replacements for both Festiva and Aspire 232021 (RH) and 232022 (LH) and rear 340009 (ALL).

Edit: I was unclear in my original post - I put the struts side by side and compared - they ARE the same (OEM). Springs I'm not sure, as I don't have them to compare. I will add that when I had OEM Aspire struts and springs on my Festiva the whole car was about 1" higher, front and rear, than with OEM Festiva struts and springs

jeff

Comment

I'll confirm what Jeff wrote. Aspire front struts are identical, though in the past they may have had stiffer internals for the heavier car. Now they all probably are the same since that simplifies SKUs and stocking them.

Rear Aspire shocks have slightly higher spring perches. I think it's 3/4".

When I did my first suspension swap, I had both my Aspire springs and Festiva springs measured for stiffness.

The Aspire fronts were about 10 pounds stiffer each side. The rears were only one pound stiffer, which leads me to believe that Aspire and Festiva rear springs are essentially the same strength. Some of the differences could also be attributed to spring fatigue.

For stock ride height using Aspire springs, I recommend cutting them one coil, which is what I did on my first swap.

I just got a cutoff wheel and I cut my first spring yesterday. I'm doing the one coil deal for Luxstiva as well.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Don't forget the difference in the lower bushings and bolts sizes between the two.
                Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

Working...
                X