bigger rims and wider tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigger rims and wider tires.

I would like to eventually put bigger rims 14s on my car, and have a wider set of tires on than the regular festiva tires. What to I need to do for this to work and not rub up inside the wheel well? Thank you

It's not so much the wheel well as it is the spring perch. The fronts do okay as long as you aren't breaking into the 200's in treadwidth, which I consider overkill for street-driven Festiva's with under 100HP that don't autocross. 185/60-14 requires either rear wheel spacers (easy to find on Ebay) or rear Aspire struts. 195/45-14 even moreso. KYB's won't suffice, since they are a Festiva-based application. Use the search function to acquire details on the spacers. If I take off my rear wheels in the next little while, I'll take some pictures of mine.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Right, get the Monroe rear struts for the Aspire. Gives you about a 5/8" higher spring perch, which is sufficiently higher for the wider/taller tires.

I did a writeup on doing the rear struts; watch out for the lower strut bolts. Use a lot of PB Blaster over a few days to try to de-rustify them. Here is the link:
      Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        Right, get the Monroe rear struts for the Aspire. Gives you about a 5/8" higher spring perch, which is sufficiently higher for the wider/taller tires.

I did a writeup on doing the rear struts; watch out for the lower strut bolts. Use a lot of PB Blaster over a few days to try to de-rustify them. Here is the link:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ght=strut+rear
        does it matter what year aspire? My 89 Festiva has 185/60-14 and do fine on the front, but even with spacers on the rear it is really close to the shock/spring.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
        '12 Ford Focus

Comment

Originally posted by murrillcg View Post
          does it matter what year aspire? My 89 Festiva has 185/60-14 and do fine on the front, but even with spacers on the rear it is really close to the shock/spring.
          Exactly, that's the problem with the rear. Any year Aspire uses the same rear strut.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

thanks Tom, once I'm done sinking money into my sons car, I will look into getting a set.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
            '12 Ford Focus

Comment

Alternatively, you can cut off the Festiva perch after converting to coilover sleeves. However, this voids any warranty a shock will have as well as provides plenty of risk when cutting/welding a shock. As well, it wouldn't be remotely reversible.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Working...
              X