FMS stainless brake line issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS stainless brake line issue

I bought a set of the braided stainless steel brake lines for Festys from FMS quite a while ago, but never used them. I was talking about selling them to someone here, who pointed out (when I sent him a picture of them) that the metal section that is secured in the strut bracket is in a different location on the two front ones. I had seen that too, but knowing that the left and right front struts have different part #s, I just figured that they are routed differently and didn't worry about it.

To check on this, today I went out and pulled the front wheels, and physically matched them up to the front rubber lines on both sides. Sure enough, one worked on both sides, and the other one didn't work on either side! The "wrong" one is long enough, but the metal piece that fits into the strut bracket is in the wrong place. I believe it is still usable tho, by putting a grommet in the strut bracket to prevent rubbing.

In the pic below, the top one is the "wrong" one. Both should look like the second one. The two shorter ones are for the rear brakes.

Last edited by TominMO; 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I have the same set of brake lines. What I discovered is that both the metal and plastic sleeve will slide along the brake line so that you can reposition it correctly.

Hope that helps.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
      I have the same set of brake lines. What I discovered is that both the metal and plastic sleeve will slide along the brake line so that you can reposition it correctly.

Hope that helps.
      Fantastic! Thanks for the tip.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I don't know if it is an optical illusion or not, but the "hook" that anchors the hose to keep it from turning when you attach it to the caliper looks longer on the second one from the top. If it is longer, then you have one Aspire hose and one Festiva hose.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

When I got mine the "hook" wouldn't line up with the hole in the Festiva caliper. I called Roger and he told me it would be OK to just cut the "hook" off. Did that and haven't had any issues with leakage etc.
          Last edited by fastivaca; 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM.
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Brakes just slow you down.....who needs them?
            Last edited by eurotiva; 08-23-2010, 03:09 PM.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              Brakes just make you go slower.....who needs them?
              I believe the concept is gradual stoppage rather than instantaneous stoppage....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

^ you need to drive down here and get me motivated.......I'm so freakin' lazy.
                -Greg
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09

Comment

think of how nice it will be to finaly make a 12 sec pass with the AC on... you know you wanna.....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
                    think of how nice it will be to finaly make a 12 sec pass with the AC on... you know you wanna.....
                    That's motivational lol
                    -Greg
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09

Comment

Working...
                    X