No announcement yet.

Removing tie rod ends for swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I tried to bust my tie-rods loose today. I was just trying to see what I would be up against. I cranked the wheels to one side. The right side is totally frozen, no luck with heat or PB Blaster so far. The jam nut is almost stripped.

Left side the tie-rod broke loose, but the jam nut is frozen. Hit it with more PB and tightened it back up. I figure worst case scenario I will have to cut the bastards off. I am going to keep putting this thing off until I have almost everything loose. I don't want to turn it into a 3 weekends job.

89 L

Comment

You try heating it up and put some wax (candle) on it? I've heard it works sometimes... never tried it myself though.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

RUSTY NUTS

You should give AeroKroil a try spray it and let it sit for a minute...Its the best spray I've used. My 89 is really rusty and I sprayed it and wait awhile and with my trusty crescent wrench and another to hold the rod from spinning it backed off w/out a hitch.
        THE INCREDIBLE HULKSTIVA

Comment

I wasn't to find any of the good products people are using.

I ended up slicing through the tie-rod with a cut-off wheel enough to break it off the link. That was a couple weeks ago. I drove it for the first time last night. Now I need tires and an alignment.

89 L

Comment

Heh. I got Luxstiva's left tie rod end loose, but not the right one. I'll have to take it in tomorrow to get some shop to loosen it for me. I used lots of PB Blaster and wrenching and some MAPP heat, to no avail.

I put on the rear axle a few days ago. I put on the Aspire struts (springs cut one coil does give stock ride height) yesterday (nice day--did it outside in my yard!). So now I have the nice stiffer ride and handling, rear stabilizer bar and finally a decent parking brake. Just the same front brakes. I'll finish the job Saturday morning.

Next week it's to the dyno run and then finally install the correct (B6) ECU for the second dyno run to see the difference.

Lux is finally shaping up! Then it will be on to Twinstiva.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I am really interested in seeing those dyno numbers. !
              1991 Festiva " The Doomer" 8vB6 Azzfire brake swap complete !

Comment

So am I.

Saturday morning I put Lux in my garage and began the swap. When I got to the right side tie rod end, I still couldn't take it off. I think the shop guy just got the jam nut loose and figured that was all I needed. Fortunately I hadn't taken too much apart. I slopped it all back together and went to my "alignment appointment" just to get the right tie rod loosened. He had to use a torch to do it.

A whole morning wasted. :evil:

My car should have been finished right now. I'll do it tomorrow morning. I made a new alignment appointment for Monday morning. Should be finished then. Then it's time for the dyno runs and proper ECU.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                X