Konig 13x5.5 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konig 13x5.5 question

what range of tyre sizes can I use on my Konig Theory's with out rubbing.

I know 175/50 or 175/60 is recommended but local places don't have those sizes, and I doubt the 205/70's one guy recommended would fit.

I'm currently stock suspension, but planning on the Aspire sway (got the back axle just need the front parts)
    "Nothing's gonna grieve us
    When we drive Festivas
    I could go a hundred miles an hour
    Long as I got the Almighty Power
    With my plastic Jesus
    Riding on the dashboard of my car"

If you keep it stock ride height you'd probably be safe with 185/60s. They'd fit nicely on 5.5" wide rims.

That's the tire size I plan on having when I get wider 13" wheels. That size is made by Falken, Sumitomo and Hercules. Maybe more.

The 185/60s would put your speedo off a bit but wouldn't be too bad. They're only about 6mm taller than the 175/60s.

205/70-13?!!!! With 165/70-13, you'd be 1/2" higher than the stock 165/70-12s. Now go up to 175/70, then 185/70, then 195/70, to 205/70 and realize each step is 7mm higher than before. That would be a whopping 4 X 7mm = 28mm, plus that 1/2" (12mm). That's a total of 40mm higher than stock ride height! No way, unless you jacked it up.

You could probably go 175/70-13 on a Festiva with stock ride height.

Lower it and you'd just have to see what fits.

BTW, I'm starting my Aspire swap tomorrow. I'll be using Aspire springs cut one coil which should keep it to stock ride height. I just had my new 165/70-13 Hercules tires mounted onto my Aspire alloys yesterday.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

A thousand thank yous.

no plans on lowering it since the roads here a so shitty I'ld crater if I went any lower than stock ride. I was thinking of grabbing Aspire springs and not cutting them. or modifying the fender for more vertical clearance, and get generic fender extenders (usually marketed to truck people)

looks like it'll be 175/70's since the sites I'm hitting either have the 185/60's out of stock, or are summer tread

any other recommended tyre sites to check besides Tire Rack and Vulcan Tire Sales?

again many thanks as the info saved me a lot of headache
      When we drive Festivas
      With my plastic Jesus

Comment

You could look up the Hercules site and see who sells them in your area. I have a set but I haven't used them yet. The guy who put them on the other day said they were nice and round and balanced easily.

I got 165/70-13s. Hercules makes two types of 185/60-13s. One may be an all season.

Falken Ziex 185/60-13s are all seasons too. Look for other sites that sell those.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
          Falken Ziex 185/60-13s are all seasons too. Look for other sites that sell those.

Karl

found a site (Edge Racing) that sells them for 37$ a piece. Is there anything else I need to get to go with the tyres? (ie. inner tubes, or such?)
          When we drive Festivas
          With my plastic Jesus

Comment

No just have to pay to have em put on and balanced.. I have the Falken's 185/60/13 on Aspire steelies and have been very impressed with dry traction, wet is ok, snow is kinda difficult to drive in... -Kyle
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Kyle, you have 185/50-13 Falkens????

Or was that a mistake?

If it wasn't, please tell me where you got them!

Karl

Comment

?

Saftey if im reading your right your saying that 175/60 are shorter than 185/60's ??? This is correct, the first number refers to the width of the tire not the height, the second number is the hight of the side wall. so if he wanted 205/60/13's they would be just as tall as the 175/60/13's. I mean to say the car height wouldn't change.

I might just be reading you wrong though

Comment

no, second # is a percentage. The sidewall is 60% of the tread width. so 60% of 175mm is less than 60% of 185mm, or, 105mm vs 111mm.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Just to add to that, the 2nd number is the percentage of the width of the tire that the height of the sidewall is equal to.

205mm is the width
                    The height of the sidewall is 60% or 123mm x 2 plus the rim diameter.

The theoretical height of the 205/60/13 tire is 22.69"
                    The theoretical height of the 165/70/13 tire is 22.09"

Website I usually use to play around with tire sizes
                    Selects a tire width, select an aspect ratio, and a rim diameter, and click on calc. The program calcs the correct tire diameter. this number can then be compared to the MFR original tire diameter.

89 L

Comment

Just ordered the Ziex in 185/60R13 from EdgeRacing.com, so I'll let everyone know how well they are to deal with when the order processes on Mon.

now if I can get the rest of the front parts to finish my swap before my current break pads need replaced.
                      When we drive Festivas
                      With my plastic Jesus

Comment

Yep, I'd really like to know how you do with the 185/60-13 Ziexes.

I'd like to put them on Konig Theories, I think. Or 13 X 5.5" Panasports, if I can afford them! Hmmm, I doubt that'll happen.

Heh, I said my swap would start when?

I put it off another day or two. Still have prep to do. I'm also lazy.

Karl

Comment

I got those exact tires. 2 years ago and I paid $35 a tire plus shipping... I love them and on a little wider rim I'm sure you'll love em even more the only complaint I have is that the rim isn't necessarily as wide as I'd like... Edgeracing is a good tire company. I was really impressed in dealing with them. I had to call them because the 175/60's weren't in stock that's why they gave me a deal on the 185's. Overall really impressed with the tires as well! -Kyle
                          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Yep, I don't like the idea of the 175s on Aspire rims, let alone 185s on those 4.5" wide rims! [Shudder.]

Thanks for correcting the aspect ratio. I thought you found the Holy Grail of low profile fun!

Actually, I think I'd be Rosie O'Donnell's little pet grease monkey for a tortuous Hollywood weekend in return for a set of high quality 185/55-13s!

Damn, what did I just say? :shock:

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy
                              Actually, I think I'd be Rosie O'Donnell's little pet grease monkey for a tortuous Hollywood weekend in return for a set of high quality 185/55-13s!

Damn, what did I just say? :shock:

Karl

eeewwwwwwww

I went with the Konig since I could do the swap in stages if needed

now if I can find a center cap tool for them since there wasn't one included with mine, and I'ld rather not chase Roger (I believe it is) down to get one..

think I might be abole to mould one in sculpty bake clay, or worse cast one in aluminium from a wax blank. ah the fun of being a part time blacksmith.
                              When we drive Festivas
                              With my plastic Jesus

Comment

Working...
                              X