Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

calling all fast festivas.... what tires do you run on the street?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all fast festivas.... what tires do you run on the street?

i have had:

205/60/13-175/50/13 sumitomo htr200
    215/40/16 sumi and kuhmo
    and nothing seems to get traction... just upped the boost to 14lbs and now im chirping 4th gear when speed shifting my 195/60/14's at around 95mph.

what have you had luck with?
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

go all out get toyo proxes i hear super grippy but dont last long
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Toyo proxes T1R is what I have on my festiva 195/45r15

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

I don't even know what mine are. 195/60/15 michelin all seasons that I pulled out of a pile of used tires. I'd like a set of proxes or hoosiers

Comment

the words "festiva" and "traction" do not go in the same sentence... unless you have a joining word like "slicks" :p

my plan to get traction on the street (when i have some money and im dont my turbo install...) is to get some 15X8 or 9 rims with a 0 offset and flair the fenders like heck... then go with the tires that the miata guys go with, 225/45/15 and if that fails and i have lots of money left over, 275/35/15

but dont tell anyone cause this is top secret

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
            15X8 or 9 rims with a 0 offset ... 225/45/15
            Might have spring perch interference unless you have coilovers. 195/60 are really close.

Comment

i have 195/50's right now with about 3/4 of an inch of room and thats with a 40 offset... when i have the money ill do the math and figgure out what offset i need, it may be somthing way off from what i thought....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Not that I have a fast Festiva but I can chime in. In any case, Toyo Proxes are far from all out.

Do you want to stay with 13" wheels? First, I think you need dedicated, mostly-track tires. I think these are short lived but good:

-Falken Azenis RT-615 are awesome and they make them as small as 195/60/14. You can pick those up for under $70 a piece which makes them a decent street tire.

-Kumho Victoracer V700 also come for 14" wheels but are more like $120 each.

-BFG G-Force Drag Radial also in 14". ~$140 ea. I haven't used this one but have heard they are not bad.

I guess if you really want to stay with 13's and get lots of grip, get Hoosier A-compound tires (and those do come in 13" sizes) but about $190 ea.

All the above are DOT approved tires, so you can legally drive them to the track.
                Oscar

Comment

195/50-15 Kumho AST on capri 3spokes right now. They suck. Not even two years old and theyre about shot. My dad put them on the capri when he was driving it and drove it with the alignment out of wack and screwed two of them. When they ended up on my festy they just didnt last long there at all. I dont think it was just the lack of traction either.

If I can get some dedicated snow wheels/tires, I'll have some real summer tires on the 15's. Im thinking 205/50-15, though 215/45-15 would be nice too. Probably a real tight fit there though.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

What's your engine mount setup?

Suspension bushings?

Front swaybar?

Tire pressure?

What is your suspension setup? Looked into high spring-rate coil-overs? Really stiffen up the rear end to prevent weight transfer.

How's your alignment looking?

Considered a two-step boost control or launching in second gear? I know you spin in fourth, but it might help.

Limited slip differential?

You really should talk with the Mopar guys. Both the old school FWD Turbos and the SRT-4 guys really know their traction stuff. A beefy set of tires can only get you so far if your chassis/suspension aren't up to the challenge.
                    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                      A beefy set of tires can only get you so far if your chassis/suspension aren't up to the challenge.
                      Absolutely.
                      Oscar

Comment

I run kumho ecstas 195/50/15. And I have done a 2.19 60' on them. Alot of it is driving style. FMS spring really help with weight transfer. I can bark 4th gear in my car, but i can also go full throttle in first with very little spin.

When I need more I run Nitto 555r's
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Toyo Proxies R888 come in a 225/50/14 which is what I would like to run, on a 7" wheel.

You can also get some 205/55/14 Nittos for about $100 each which look pretty good too. I don't have personal experience w/ either yet though - this is just from a bunch of looking around I've done.
                          For a more or less stock BP or B6t I've found that Falken Ziex 912s are a great compromise between decent traction and good street life/price - 185/60/14 and they are like $60 each. They gave great handling/traction for my n/a B6 and increased the traction tremendously on the B6t car (over the same size all seasons).
                          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

ive had a few different Kumhos in the 195/50/15s and the last about 15-20k of very "spirited" city/hyw driving, and the traction was fair. i decided to spend a little more this time and got 205/50/15 BFG G-force sports. they are alot stickier and so far have been holding up to the beating i have given to them. im still at about 80% tread left in 10k miles. lets clarify that im not boosted, but still putting down 102ft-lbs(dyno), take on/off ramps in excess of 50mph daily.
                            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

What's your engine mount setup?
                              poly trans mounts for a early 70's nova custom brackets. front engine mount is a poly loer shock mount off of a dsm

Suspension bushings?
                              stock new rubber ones

Front swaybar?
                              aspire

Tire pressure?
                              on the 195/60/14's 26 psi(started at 32 and dropped in 1psi increments til the 60' time got slower)

What is your suspension setup? Looked into high spring-rate coil-overs? Really stiffen up the rear end to prevent weight transfer.
                              gsr integra rear springs on nissan maxima rear shocks

How's your alignment looking?
                              good with .9* negative camber

Considered a two-step boost control or launching in second gear? I know you spin in fourth, but it might help. launching in 2nd either bogs terribly or smokes tires... have yet to find a happy medium.

Limited slip differential?
                              open diff

You really should talk with the Mopar guys. Both the old school FWD Turbos and the SRT-4 guys really know their traction stuff. A beefy set of tires can only get you so far if your chassis/suspension aren't up to the challenge.[/QUOTE]

i found some sumitomo 215/50/13's im gonna try
                              Last edited by fastivaB6TG25MR; 10-17-2010, 04:10 PM.
                              I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X