Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle chain extender on Aspire swap p-brake connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle chain extender on Aspire swap p-brake connection?

I'm familiar with bike chains but not motorcycle chains. I imagine motorcycle chains are similar, but larger.

On the Aspire swap, there may be a problem connecting one's parking brake cables to the drum levers. The Aspire drums seem to be wider at that point. On my Mutt I "solved" this by not running the cables through the grommets and brackets on the axle. Instead, I just ran them straight to the levers. It works, but it's noisy over bumps when the cables smack the axle.

How about using a motorcycle chain link (actually, two of them) to connect one side (I think that's all you'd need) cable to a drum brake lever? Is a motorcycle chain pin hole about the same size as a Festiva/Aspire cable/lever connection pin?

If this works, it would be a very easy way to hook up one's p-brake without taking out the entire Festiva cable assembly and installing an Aspire assembly. No messing with carpets, seatbelt bolts, etc.

How about it, you motorcycle guys??

If it does work, will a decent quaility bicycle chain tool work on a motorcycle chain?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

hell, if that's the case, just use two master links. won't need to peen the pin over then.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
    X