"Loose" sound on new Aspire Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Loose" sound on new Aspire Swap

Can't figure it out! I've looked over everything. Whenever you go over a bump, the right-hand wheel well has a loose metal sound like something is rattling around, but 95% of the parts are brand new, and all the bushings are in good enough shape that they weren't in need of replacement. Everything was torqued to the specs provided by the Haynes manual. The car hugs the curves with eagerness, and there is no real looseness in the steering. I know it's probably best that the gurus look at it instead of make random guesses, but I'm up to any educated suggestions.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

loose crossmember...

I say this because I basically had the same exact thing going on.
    Last edited by big_ty2003; 10-16-2010, 07:00 AM.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Front or rear?

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Where's the cross member? It's in the front.
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Same problem, never found out what it is. Mine is on the drivers side.
          89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
          My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

could also be a worn ball joint pinch bolt.
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
              Where's the cross member? It's in the front.
              It is what runs underneath your trans, the trans mount is connected to it.
              If its loose and it could be because of rust issues everything will move when you drive. So you will hear slight clunking, rattling, squeaking, or other various noises as you drive. I heard a similar noise to what you are talking about coming from the right front side of my car. I welded the crossmember up where it is supposed to be and the noise is gone. One bolt was broken off and the other looks like it was cross threaded about 1/2-3/4'' from being all the way in. Just something to check out, maybe have someone grab the engine and jerk on it hard and listen for noise and get under the car and visually inspect it.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                could also be a worn ball joint pinch bolt.
                Sounds like a good possibility. The crossmember is pretty tight, and torqued, so I'd be willing to bet it is the bolt. I must not have torqued it enough! I'll check it again soon.

Comment

Okay, pulls hard left. Alignment is fine. Brake calipers are new. I'm really getting frustrated with this. The tires are all inflated to 32PSI.

EDIT: Alignment WAS fine, last Friday.
                  Last edited by DriverOne; 10-18-2010, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Wild. Wife gets in the car and it doesn't pull anymore! What the heck?!

Comment

About how much weight difference between you and your wife.

(No, I ain't asking her weight!)

If this happens consistently when you switch off, figure out what the weight shift does.

Karl

Comment

D1, this may not be related, but I just ran across this while looking for something else:

In my 1992 shop manual in the NVH section, page 00-04-7, it describes how to "neutralize transaxle mount and exhaust system" in case you have "an abnormal vibration." You may want to consider this info.

Probably not your issue, but it's interesting.

Karl

Comment

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I did find the noise, after Bebandit re-torqued the front right side of my car (because experience counts!). Of all things, it's the drive axle (Thank you, MadScientist!) on the right side. I got under the car a bit, and started shaking stuff. The ONLY thing that moved was the axle that slid about 1/2 an inch and sure enough, went Ka-Thump. So, I guess a new axle is in order. I wonder though, what they meant about a 'strange vibration?' Sounds like an 80's pop song.

Comment

Working...
                          X