Aspire BMC on an Festiva write-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire BMC on an Festiva write-up

I pulled my non-leaky BMC(brake master cylinder) off a 97 Aspire with a manual transmission and only 97k miles. When I did, I didn't unscrew the brake lines from the BMC, I cut them about 6" from the BMC and you'll see why later.

When I started the swap on my car, I soaked all the bolts with PB Blaster for about 30 mins before I started turning wrenches. Before I cracked my lines open, I put an oil pan on the ground under my BMC to prevent brake fluid all over my driveway.

First I unplugged the connector to the BMC.

Next I used a 10mm open end wrench to remove the brake lines.

Next, remove the 2 12mm nuts that hold the BMC to the brake booster. Remove your old BMC and let it drain in your oil pan. Put the Aspire BMC in the place of your old one and tighten the 2 12mm nuts back down. This is where the old brake lines still connected to your BMC will help you. Bend them up and try not to kink them while you're doing so. Bend them over and into your BMC to help you with bleeding. Pinch the middle of the brake line you're using so that it cuts off free flowing brake fluid and doesn't suck air back in the BMC.

Fill your reservoir to the full line and lay the lid back on to prevent the fluid from splashing everywhere.

Pump your brakes 25-30 times or until bubbles stop coming out of the brake lines. Go ahead and bend your new brake line very carefully to go into the new top port of your Aspire BMC. You will have to pull the brake line forward a little bit and turn it toward the driver side tire and then down. Take your 10mm bolts loose from the cut brake lines and remove them. Install your existing and newly re-bent brake lines that are on the car.

Last, you're going to bleed your brakes at all 4 corners to ensure proper braking. Your going to start with your passenger rear, then your drivers rear, next the passenger front and last the drivers front. This order keeps air out of lines you have already bleed. Make sure you test to see if you have good pedal pressure before you go for a test drive. Enjoy!

Note: I kept my Festiva brake booster on the car but you can also swap it for the Aspire brake booser. The one from the Aspire is larger and will give you softer brakes.

Sorry I just wanted to add, If you dont get any pedal pressure by bleeding farthest from the MC, Try it backwards and bleed all the air out away from the MC, starting from the drivers front tire back. I have tried it the "Proper way" on a few festys and found this method works faster and ensures no air from front to back.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Good little writeup, thanks!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Very nice work, thanks for the contribution! After you get some time on the thing, I'd love to hear your comments on the upgrade. I've heard from a few other users that the Aspire MC/BB are too firm for their liking.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I run this setup with the aspire booster, it starts braking quick and never feels soft. Considering I'm running 205/60-13, and stock brake pads, it performs very well
          (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

I'm considering swapping my brake booster for the Aspire one because I can't tell any difference between the Festy and Aspire BMCs after driving. Keep in mind, I replaced mine not for performance but just maintenance but if I end up with better performance, I'm more than happy with that.

Comment

aspire MC is great with festy or aspire brakes. I will never buy a festy MC!
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
              X