Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing old rotors with new ceramic pads (temporary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing old rotors with new ceramic pads (temporary)

I just ordered a few things from Rock Auto, including two sets of Raybestos PG Plus rotors (one manual, one auto) for my Aspire brake swap. (I plan to weigh both types to see just how much difference there is between them.)

I intend on doing my swap tomorrow, using my old Aspire junkyard rotors which are rusty but look serviceable. I'll clean 'em up and lightly sand the rust off the working surfaces before installing them.

My question is will this hurt my new ceramic pads for when I slap in the new rotors in a week or two?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I would not think so as long as they have no grooves in them , a couple of weeks should not hurt , just don't seat them in too hard.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I don't think I'll use the screws and I'll grease up the bolt holes (carefully!) to prevent any "corrosion-weld."

I'll be going light on the brake pedal, too.

Raybestos claims their PG + series rotors offer "three times the life" & quietness, etc. of regular cheapies. Or something like that.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I worked at a parts store that carried both the PG plus and the standard rotors made by raybestos. There is a difference if you get the rotors side by side. PG Plus have better ventilation in the middle of the rotor and are made out of a better quality steel.
        If you are not going to get your old rotors cut, sand them to remove the old brake pad material that is on them from the previous pads. The rotors should have a shine to them when your done. Also like someone else said, make sure there aren't any grooves.
        The Festiva Store
        Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
        X