Coil Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Over

Already installed 1-1/2"x1-1/2", 3/16" angle to my rear "U" style axle and want to get even tighter ride.
    Could someone help me learn the difference between just upgrading the springs on my Festiva vs. installing all new coil over and strut assemblies? I want to stiffen my ride, but wondering why the trend seems to be installing new strut towers and upgraded springs. Why could I not just get beefier springs and install on my stock struts?

New to all this stuff, so forgive my ignorance please.

I would quite like to see some pictures of your axle upgrade if you have any!
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I agree, pictures please!

Go here for a coil over writup by Nate:

You can get stiffer stock strut springs by cutting one coil off of Aspire springs. I've done it twice with decent results. Now I'm going to mount 2002 Kia Rio front struts with my cut Aspire springs up front. More info and pics in my "AquaMutt build" thread in The Garage. Not finished yet though.

Karl
      Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I will get pics as soon as I can, but this should give a good idea of what I did. It is not to scale but just a rough sketch to let you see. It totally makes the ride different and has less sway and roll.

Comment

Cool! How did you attach it, welding?

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Intriguing... thanks for the diagram! I already have the rear Aspire beam and a threaded rod through the holes on the ends, but this could be just the winning ticket if I want a little more beefiness in the rear end. If you're interested in the threaded beam mod, you can flip through my build thread on page three - link below.

I would assume though that this would do quite a bit more for rigidity. Combine it with a higher spring-rate set of bouncy parts, and you'll have a very well planted Festiva, good sir!
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

We welded about 4" lines at the ends nearest the wheels and two about equal distant fron there. If i remember correct there are a total of 4 weld lines top and bottom. I will get pics later.
              I do want to add stiffer springs, not sure I want to upgrade the struts as I am not sure it is worth the extra cash and head ache of cutting and modifying. I may at some point get the KYB GR2s, but not sure yet....little pricey on eBay right now for my pocket.
              With the current mod. there is little to no dip and roll and cornering is pretty solid- feels "square" as I turn. I am a little apprehensive about putting it too far to test as I only run the stock 12" wheels and even with new tires I am afraid of ripping the tires from the wheels....I have though been able to increase my speed in a "clover-leaf" freeway on-ramp from 30 or so MPH to about 40+ before hearing wheel screech. Not sure if it is the tires or the axle mod. but I love the fun of driving the 4 clover leafs over and over and over jus cuz i can!
              Another, probably easier way to do the axle mod is to "close" the "U" with a piece of 3/16" to 1/4" flat stock as the angle kept slipping into the "U". By closing the "U" with flat stock you in essence create a "box" axle which decreases the twist-torsion much better than the angle does. I have another rear end on my Festiva Car-B-Cue that I may remove from the body and modify off the car so i have better accessibility and more room to work.

Comment

CAR B Cue

some pics of the Festiva Car-B-Cue

Comment

Working...
                X