Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175/65/14 - Will these Rub??

Got a set of 14" rims... Just got new tires for the rims.... 175/65/14

Will I have an issue with these rubbing on a stock suspension Festiva???

I tested fitted other tires on my rims and they didn't hit the shock... Where does the rubbing normally happen? Fender?

Thanks!
    Phil
    My Whips:

Depends on the rim offset too. Front will be no problem. Rear probably no problem either, if offset is 38mm. I'm running 185/60x14, but had to go to Aspire rear struts, which have higher bottom spring perches, to avoid rubbing just below the Festy perch. You could also use spacers, but Aspire struts are the better way to go.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you already have the wheels and tires, the best and most accurate answer will come from you when you put them on. Hard to give you a guess of how they will fit without knowing the wheel offset.
      Oscar

Comment

I'm pretty sure the tires fit fine in regards to the rear strut... When I did a test fit.... But I didn't drive the car.

How much room do you have between the back of the wheel well and the rear tire??
        My Whips:

Comment

How do I find out the offset? Is it stamped somewhere on the rim usually?

Originally posted by perucho View Post
          If you already have the wheels and tires, the best and most accurate answer will come from you when you put them on. Hard to give you a guess of how they will fit without knowing the wheel offset.
          My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
            How do I find out the offset? Is it stamped somewhere on the rim usually?
            I forgot to say that you also need to know the wheel depth. There may be a number stamped on the wheel (e.g., 42). That represents the offset (in millimeters) from the horizontal center of the wheel to the mounting surface. If that doesn't make any sense, do a quick google search. Much better explanations out there.
            The other way you can find out the offset is by measuring the wheel's backspace. Then you can very easily calculate the offset. Again, the internet is your best resource. Good luck!
            Oscar

Comment

The rims are 5.5" wide. I'll look tomorrow to see if there is anything stamped on the rim.

My only real concern is the back. I don't wanna rub when driving. Granted, it will most likely just be myself usually in the car....... sometimes my wife as well.

Don't really plan on using the Festiva to haul people around in and I have my truck for hauling big things.
              My Whips:

Comment

If you lay a board or other flat object directly across the inside of a rim (avoiding contact with tire sidewalls) you merely have to measure down with a tape measure, to where the rim contacts the hub, in order to determine the offset. It's not rocket science when you do it that way although the accuracy will only be to the nearest mm.

Comment

Perfect..... I'll do that tomorrow before mounting any tires to make it easy.

Thanks for that tip

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  If you lay a board or other flat object directly across the inside of a rim (avoiding contact with tire sidewalls) you merely have to measure down with a tape measure, to where the rim contacts the hub, in order to determine the offset. It's not rocket science when you do it that way although the accuracy will only be to the nearest mm.
                  My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    That measurement is the backspace. The offset will be the backspace minus half the rim width. The convert it to millimeters. And if you are 1 mm off, no worries

Keep in mind that alloy wheels are about 1-inch wider than the spec'd width. Your wheels are 5.5-inches wide inside the wheel lip. You should account for that extra 1/2-inch when you calculate the offset when you use the backspace measurement.
                    Oscar

Comment

So basically for my case....

Backspace - 3.25 = offset

I think that is how I do it...

~Phil

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                      That measurement is the backspace. The offset will be the backspace minus half the rim width. The convert it to millimeters. And if you are 1 mm off, no worries

Keep in mind that alloy wheels are about 1-inch wider than the spec'd width. Your wheels are 5.5-inches wide inside the wheel lip. You should account for that extra 1/2-inch when you calculate the offset when you use the backspace measurement.
                      My Whips:

Comment

Originally posted by hckrphil View Post
                        The rims are 5.5" wide. I'll look tomorrow to see if there is anything stamped on the rim.

My only real concern is the back. I don't wanna rub when driving. Granted, it will most likely just be myself usually in the car....... sometimes my wife as well.

Don't really plan on using the Festiva to haul people around in and I have my truck for hauling big things.
                        Mine are 14x6", so with you running a 175 on a 5.5" width, you'll probably be fine. Just put 'em on and check the clearance between the inside of the tire and the rear strut.

Another thought: if you have vibration at hwy speeds, you should go to aftermarket bolts. Not likely to be an issue with thin steel rims, but probably will be an issue with aluminum rims, which are thicker. Better yet, stick studs in.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X