Need key for this locking lug nut...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need key for this locking lug nut...

Found 4 locking lug nuts at the jy today and I figured I'd pick them up for a little added wheel safety. They were sitting in the back of an isuzu trooper with no lug key in sight.....I'm not even sure they came off the trooper. Just wondering if any of you know where I can get a key to fit these? I'm searching myself but can't find anything so far
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Go back to the junk yard and double check everywhere for the key inside the Trooper. Those are useless without it. It should be there.

Comment

If you can find a brand name and set number on them, write the factory and ask if they can sell you a key. You'll probably have to document where you found them.

If you can't find any info, I think there are sockets sold somewhere that use lots of little rods that conform to a nut or bolt head. See if you can scare one of them up.

Also, what BK said. I used to keep my key in Muttstiva's ash tray. Just go back, pretend you are the Isuzu owner, and think where you would hide it.

A few months ago, there was a Miata with some decent Daisies at the PnP here. I saw where folks had tried to vice-grip the wheel locks off, but couldn't. I bet those wheels were crushed. I would have liked to have had one or two extras. Oh well.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Go back to the junk yard and double check everywhere for the key inside the Trooper. Those are useless without it. It should be there.
        I checked everywhere without any luck

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
        If you can find a brand name and set number on them, write the factory and ask if they can sell you a key. You'll probably have to document where you found them.

If you can't find any info, I think there are sockets sold somewhere that use lots of little rods that conform to a nut or bolt head. See if you can scare one of them up.
        No markings on them whatsoever unfortunately. I've seen the socket that you're talking about, just hoping I can find the actual key. If not, no big deal
        "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Geez, if I ever find the key for these my wheels should be safe.....I've been searching forever and still can't even find a lug nut that looks like these!

Comment

keys are a pain in the butt, i had them on my mustang. the key was zip tied to the lug wrench in the hatch, well some how i lost the key, got a flat, i had a spare tire but nothing to remove the key, none the less it was an expsensive day after tow, shop broke all the keys off and replaced the flat tire

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
              keys are a pain in the butt, i had them on my mustang. the key was zip tied to the lug wrench in the hatch, well some how i lost the key, got a flat, i had a spare tire but nothing to remove the key, none the less it was an expsensive day after tow, shop broke all the keys off and replaced the flat tire
              Man that sucks! I've got another set of wheel locks but they're the real common ones that come on pretty much every honda. I've already had two cars stolen and recovered, but both times I didn't have any kind of wheel locks and the wheels were stolen. I figure the more sets of wheel locks I have the less likely thieves are to go after my car/wheels

Comment

Yeah my bro had the problem with his grand prix. But every lugnut was the special kind and he couldnt find a place that sold the key. So he actually had to buy a whole set of lug nuts to get the key.

Comment

Originally posted by graywolf_14 View Post
                  Yeah my bro had the problem with his grand prix. But every lugnut was the special kind and he couldnt find a place that sold the key. So he actually had to buy a whole set of lug nuts to get the key.
                  Yeah, guess I'm just gonna scrap these. Checked out the parts store and found some that are similar but that won't do me any good! Oh well

Comment

Just "similar" or the same manufacturer?

If you know the manufacturer, call them to see if you can send them one of the nuts and pay them to provide you with the key. I'd think they'd be able to do that.

If you can't figure out the manufacturer, then yes, you're done! Scrap 'em.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I believe my brother contacted the company that makes his and they wouldnt because they couldnt prove that he was needing them for his car. I guess they didnt want to sell it to someone that could of been wanting it to steal rims...

Comment

Do you have any friends that are machinists? They could probably make you one. If not I will check with a few of my friends and see about making one for you.
                        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
                        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Just "similar" or the same manufacturer?

If you know the manufacturer, call them to see if you can send them one of the nuts and pay them to provide you with the key. I'd think they'd be able to do that.

If you can't figure out the manufacturer, then yes, you're done! Scrap 'em.

Karl
                          No markings on them so I don't know the manufacturer. I guess most of them have a "similar" design

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
                          Do you have any friends that are machinists? They could probably make you one. If not I will check with a few of my friends and see about making one for you.
                          Sure don't. I think I'm gonna give up on these because even if I do find a key I'd probably have to buy a complete set with it!

Comment

I have a set of oem civic locking wheel lugnuts with key if you are interested. M12 x 1.50. If you can't find the key. 15 bucks plus six shipping.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

making a key or trying to locate one really seems like more work than it is worth...

Comment

Working...
                              X