No More Rubbing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Rubbing!

So today I swapped out my tired Festiva suspension with 102k on it for a new (used) Aspire suspension. 37k on the front struts / springs..... brand new rear shocks with stock aspire springs.

It did raise the car about 1.5" or so and is a lot more "firm". My rear shocks were completely shot on the Festiva.

Now, with my 175/65/14 tires, I get NO rubbing at all. The car doesn't rock forward and back very much at all when shifting fast either.

I did have to use a blow torch to remove the passenger side rear strut. Broke the welded in nut off holding it in place so that was replaced with a normal nut which I held with a box end thru the rear of the frame.

The front was actually easier than the rear But all in all ,not a hard swap. The use of my brother-in-laws impact gun, heated shop, lift, and torch helped a lot

Now I'm rolling on my new 14" tires

I do notice now that the car is pulling to the left.... what might that mean in terms of an alignment? Anything easy to fix or should I take this to a pro shop and have a full allignment done? What does an alignment cost roughly?

~Phil
    Last edited by hckrphil; 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM.
    My Whips:

Pic??
    Brian
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
    :fish:

Comment

Alignment around $40

I don't know if that messes with your alignment or not.
      Maybe check your tires and what not. Are they brand new? Check the PSI on them make sure they are all the same.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Your front alignment is off due to the raising of the suspension. After I did the Aspire spring/strut swap I took it in to an alignment shop. It was around $80 if I remember right.

Comment

I'll take a pic tomorrow.... it is dark out right now. I would have taken one when I was done, but it was dark out then...

Looks like I'll be getting an alignment then Tires are brand new.... we just mounted / balanced them so they are all good on that account.

When they do the alignment, can they straighten out the steering wheel at the same time?

~Phil
          My Whips:

Comment

generally they will aline your steering wheel and then make adjustments from there. if they dont do it then just take it off and move it how ever far it needs to be moved to be straight.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
            1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
            R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
            00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
            03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
            pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
            Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
            Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

definitely checkin back for a pic!
              93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
              RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
              RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

I usually take lots of pics.... if I don't get it posted tomorrow night, it will DEFINETELY be up by Tuesday night

The 14" rims with the 175/65/14 tires almost look like low profiles haha

Phil

Originally posted by skimsucka View Post
                definitely checkin back for a pic!
                My Whips:

Comment

As promised...... pics

14" rims/ tires with STOCK 102k Festiva Suspension (rubbed a lot):

14" rims / tires with new Aspire suspension:
                  My Whips:

Comment

One more thing to note..... with the 12" tires, my speedometer was about 4mph FASTER than GPS.

With the 175/65/14 tires, my speedometer is dead nuts on!
                    My Whips:

Comment

Cool!

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Heh, I just put 195/60-15's on the front of my car.

Only rub on big bumps or if I turn at a highish rate of speed.

Not too bad for being roughly 14% taller than a stock 12"!
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I like the look of the higher stance from the Aspire swap
                          Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

Thanks! I'm just pleased I can run my new 14's.

Originally posted by SuperDaveGulvak View Post
                            I like the look of the higher stance from the Aspire swap
                            My Whips:

Comment

Did you cut your coils at all. The thing looks level. Are the 4 door and 2 door aspire shocks the same?
                              Ford Fester

Comment

Working...
                              X