First steps to Aspire brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First steps to Aspire brakes

Lucked out at PnP this morning. Found a ,96 Aspire with only 129,000km (80,000 miles) on it with everything still there. The brake pads even look fairly new on the front. Didn't get the rear axle but will go back for that shortly.

Almost screwed up though... took the cotter pin out of the tie rod and then said OK that should pop out now. Started beating on it with the hammer and couldn't figure out why it was coming apart. It was then I had my "DUH" moment and realized I forgot to undo the nut! I was fortunate that the nut came off at all with the amount I had beaten on the tie rod.

Hope to have everything together in the next few days along with the new inner and out tie rods. I'm hoping that my front end problems will be solved with all this work.

Will be keeping you posted.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Shouldint hit it on the threads anyways, your supposed to tap the side of the actual mount and the vibration will break it lose. It will prevent any damage to the threads and mushrooming of the end.

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
    1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
    R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
    00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
    03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
    pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
    Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
    Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

If he gets new tie rods, who cares about screwing up the old ones

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

It was -18°C this morning (0°F) while I was pulling things so I wasn't concerned about saving the old ones, speed was more of an issue. I have the new tie rods sitting on the shelf ready to go! New boots for them too.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

^ Where did you get the boots? I'm about to do the swap too. I have the major parts, now I'm looking for all the little stuff.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

^^ The boots came in a package from FMS with all the tie rod stuff. bought quite a while ago and don't remember the price.

Ian
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              ^^ The boots came in a package from FMS with all the tie rod stuff.
              Just curious, what is the quality like of the FMS parts? Just curious, because I'm hearing conflicting reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Aspire View Post
                Just curious, what is the quality like of the FMS parts? Just curious, because I'm hearing conflicting reviews
                I haven't had a close look at them in a while. They seem to be alright though. I guess I'll find out in a little while

Ian
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Update

Decided not to install the inner tie rods for now as everything looked OK. I had the alignment shop check everything and they had nothing bad to report. Can't really "test" the brakes right now as most streets here in Calgary are like skating rinks! Once it warms up I'm sure the improvement will be quite noticeable.

Next step... head to PnP and pick up the back half
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X